Thread: Aquila Reds/D'Addario Titanium strings on a plastic fretboard?

Question Aquila Reds/D'Addario Titanium strings on a plastic fretboard?

I have a fluke with the plastic fretboard and I was wondering if these strings would damage it since I guess they have some small amount of the metal in them. The reds contain "red copper powder", and the D'Addarios have "titanium monofilament material".

Has anyone had experience with this?

I saw this thread asking about Aquila Reds but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer and I don't want to test it out only to have to send my uke from Canada to the US for a fretboard repair (if only we had universal "healthcare" for our instruments too! haha)

Any thoughts appreciated

You won’t have a problem with either set of strings. I have a Fluke, poly fretboard and have used both sets of string and they are fine. I like the Reds on the fluke. Not a big fan of Titanium my Fluke. Aquila changed their changed their formula for Reds and they are really nice. Pre stretch string s per the video. Look on tuners for any sharp edges on your tuners. I added pegheds to my fluke and found one tuner Had a sharp edge. Snapped my String. Once that was filed no issues. Good luck. Aquila strings, Reds, very well price and I am a Flurocarbon user for the most part.

I can't comment on the plastic fluke but I mixed a titanium tenor set with a red low G years ago when I didn't know better. The result was totally mismatched tension with annoying relative softness of the titaniums. I went all Aquila after a couple of weeks and have been happy with result for years.

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    You won’t have a problem with either set of strings. I have a Fluke, poly fretboard and have used both sets of string and they are fine. I like the Reds on the fluke. Not a big fan of Titanium my Fluke. Aquila changed their changed their formula for Reds and they are really nice. Pre stretch string s per the video. Look on tuners for any sharp edges on your tuners. I added pegheds to my fluke and found one tuner Had a sharp edge. Snapped my String. Once that was filed no issues. Good luck. Aquila strings, Reds, very well price and I am a Flurocarbon user for the most part.
    This was really helpful, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by YUNI View Post
    I have a fluke with the plastic fretboard and I was wondering if these strings would damage it since I guess they have some small amount of the metal in them. The reds contain "red copper powder", and the D'Addarios have "titanium monofilament material".

Has anyone had experience with this?

I saw this thread asking about Aquila Reds but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer and I don't want to test it out only to have to send my uke from Canada to the US for a fretboard repair (if only we had universal "healthcare" for our instruments too! haha)

Any thoughts appreciated
    I've seen them on Flukes, and they don't seem to be a problem. I put a Neck Illusions graphic on the fretboard of a Flea. I liked it so much that I painted the front to match, and then I bought a matching strap. They offer many styles, or you can send them your own design.

https://neckillusions.com/collections/ukuleles

05.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I've seen them on Flukes, and they don't seem to be a problem. I put a Neck Illusions graphic on the fretboard of a Flea. I liked it so much that I painted the front to match, and then I bought a matching strap. They offer many styles, or you can send them your own design.

https://neckillusions.com/collections/ukuleles

05.jpg

You should send that picture to the fluke and flea museum website! There are so many cool ones there yours would fit right in haha

The D'Addario strings do not have any metal in them. They are "titanium" in name only. The only thing with those strings is that they are quite thick compared to a lot of others. I'm not sure how wide the nut slots/string guides in the Fluke are. If they are wide enough, no problem. If they're not, I would not risk widening them since the nut is built into the fretboard on those as best I remember. The slots the strings load into at the bridge might also not be wide enough for the thickest string.

Thread Information