Aquila Reds/D'Addario Titanium strings on a plastic fretboard?

YUNI

Reaction score
I have a fluke with the plastic fretboard and I was wondering if these strings would damage it since I guess they have some small amount of the metal in them. The reds contain "red copper powder", and the D'Addarios have "titanium monofilament material".

Has anyone had experience with this?

I saw this thread asking about Aquila Reds but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer and I don't want to test it out only to have to send my uke from Canada to the US for a fretboard repair (if only we had universal "healthcare" for our instruments too! ;) haha)

Any thoughts appreciated :)

You won’t have a problem with either set of strings. I have a Fluke, poly fretboard and have used both sets of string and they are fine. I like the Reds on the fluke. Not a big fan of Titanium my Fluke. Aquila changed their changed their formula for Reds and they are really nice. Pre stretch string s per the video. Look on tuners for any sharp edges on your tuners. I added pegheds to my fluke and found one tuner Had a sharp edge. Snapped my String. Once that was filed no issues. Good luck. Aquila strings, Reds, very well price and I am a Flurocarbon user for the most part.

I can't comment on the plastic fluke but I mixed a titanium tenor set with a red low G years ago when I didn't know better. The result was totally mismatched tension with annoying relative softness of the titaniums. I went all Aquila after a couple of weeks and have been happy with result for years.

You won’t have a problem with either set of strings. I have a Fluke, poly fretboard and have used both sets of string and they are fine. I like the Reds on the fluke. Not a big fan of Titanium my Fluke. Aquila changed their changed their formula for Reds and they are really nice. Pre stretch string s per the video. Look on tuners for any sharp edges on your tuners. I added pegheds to my fluke and found one tuner Had a sharp edge. Snapped my String. Once that was filed no issues. Good luck. Aquila strings, Reds, very well price and I am a Flurocarbon user for the most part.

This was really helpful, thank you!!

I have a fluke with the plastic fretboard and I was wondering if these strings would damage it since I guess they have some small amount of the metal in them. The reds contain "red copper powder", and the D'Addarios have "titanium monofilament material".

Has anyone had experience with this?

I saw this thread asking about Aquila Reds but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer and I don't want to test it out only to have to send my uke from Canada to the US for a fretboard repair (if only we had universal "healthcare" for our instruments too! ;) haha)

Any thoughts appreciated :)

I've seen them on Flukes, and they don't seem to be a problem. I put a Neck Illusions graphic on the fretboard of a Flea. I liked it so much that I painted the front to match, and then I bought a matching strap. They offer many styles, or you can send them your own design.

https://neckillusions.com/collections/ukuleles

05.jpg

I've seen them on Flukes, and they don't seem to be a problem. I put a Neck Illusions graphic on the fretboard of a Flea. I liked it so much that I painted the front to match, and then I bought a matching strap. They offer many styles, or you can send them your own design.

https://neckillusions.com/collections/ukuleles

View attachment 123619

You should send that picture to the fluke and flea museum website! There are so many cool ones there yours would fit right in haha :cool:

The D'Addario strings do not have any metal in them. They are "titanium" in name only. The only thing with those strings is that they are quite thick compared to a lot of others. I'm not sure how wide the nut slots/string guides in the Fluke are. If they are wide enough, no problem. If they're not, I would not risk widening them since the nut is built into the fretboard on those as best I remember. The slots the strings load into at the bridge might also not be wide enough for the thickest string.

Top Bottom