Comin back!

Dane

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Life got really crazy for a long time, things changed, then they changed again, and again. I stopped playing for a LOT of years. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder 4 years ago, something I've had since I was a kid. I thought I had it under control for a while but it snuck back up on me over the last year and wreaked havoc on my life.

Recently I lost what was most important to me and I've been on a journey to re-discover myself. I've lost over 35 pounds, I've been working out, doing yoga, cooking 100% vegan foods, making friends, learning new things, challenging myself, going zero waste, transitioning to a minimalist lifestyle, getting out there. But something has still been missing.

I realized, music used to be so important to me. I have no training, I never knew what I was doing, but I always enjoyed the journey. When I started playing ukulele 13 years ago, I was in one of the darkest point of my depression. This little instrument brought me to this wonderful community where I found acceptance and happiness, something I was not able to provide for myself at that time.

I've really missed this group of amazing individuals, and it looks like a lot has changed here also. I'm excited to come back and pick up where I left off. I have only owned a motorcycle for the last 5 years, so taking my ukuleles anywhere has been difficult with rain, sub freezing temperatures, no humidity, and also temperatures as high as 111 degrees. Commuting over 125 miles a day also means I have to bring a lot of gear and an instrument on top of that is just too much. But I'm a creative person so I started researching and ended up buying an Outdoor Ukulele and a Blackbird Farallon, instruments I can take anywhere with me! I've sold most of my wood ukuleles and I'm clearing house with the rest. I'm cutting it back to the bare essentials and taking it back to my roots.

Excited for the future. I don't know where my journey will take me, or if I'll even be on here. But I wanted everyone to know that this community really helped me, we all have the power to help each other. Let's continue to spread that love and positivity. I love all of you!

Congratulations Dane. It does get better.

I'm glad that you are seeing the future ahead of you. Music certainly helps and it adds some joy and fun to our lives.

Commuting over a 125 miles a day is a long commute especially in bad weather!

Sounds as though you have the right ukes to transport in those conditions.

You seem to be headed in the right direction in everything else as well. All the best to you.

Dane,

Good to see you back, and heading in a good direction!

Welcome back. Music can add much to our lives. Glad that you've rekindled your enjoyment of music.

Welcome back to the fam, Dane. Yep, depression is a bitch. Been there, done that.
The mighty uke brought me out of its clutches, too.
Minimalist is the way to go, I'm convinced. My friend who is a hoarder is not happy, and her hubby sure ain't either.
I'm not a vegan, but I admire you. I'm 68 years old, and am tired of eating critters, and I want to go vegetarian.
If most of us went vegan or vegetarian, we just might save this planet.
I've never commuted that far, 55 miles is my record. Motorcycles are nice (I've had 5), but they do have their limits. Now I'm a Prius Priss. My next car will be an EV, if I live that long.
I'm glad you're back.

Dane,

Good to see you back, and heading in a good direction!

As usual, I agree with Hodge! LOL.

Welcome back, Dane. I hope music continues to provide you with inner peace, joy and happiness for the rest of your life's journey!

This is a familiar story, I've heard it and experienced it to varying degrees. A friend of mine said that a Martin soprano got him through the Korean War with his sanity intact, he is still strumming to this day with great joy.

Top Bottom