Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with ziricote

Default Experience with ziricote

Ziricote looks amazing! But I have heard that it is crack prone..
    Do you own a ziricote back and sides? What has been your experience?

I do not have experience with ziricote. I was told by two luthiers and have read that it is a touchy wood to work with. That it's hard to bend and form and has a tendency to to crack and break even when it's bent and handled extremely carefully.

Amendment: The ziricote laminates hold up just fine. Two at my uke club, both over 4 years old, doing just fine.
    To expand upon what I was told: It's a beautiful wood with great sound. Once it's shaped and assembled, it doesn't have any more problems than other hard woods. It's getting it to that point that's the difficult part.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 12-12-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I have a Kala ziricote baritone .... it's laminate; so no worries with the wood! If it's the look you're after, then this might be an alternative ... and it actually sounds pretty good!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Quote Originally Posted by LimousinLil View Post
    I have a Kala ziricote baritone .... it's laminate; so no worries with the wood! If it's the look you're after, then this might be an alternative ... and it actually sounds pretty good!
    I know two people with that uke, and they've held up very well. Laminates are less delicate.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I think that Kala ziricote baritone is gorgeous. Almost bought one, based on the looks alone. Glad to hear they hold up well.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by John boy View Post
    I think that Kala ziricote baritone is gorgeous. Almost bought one, based on the looks alone. Glad to hear they hold up well.
    "Almost bought one" applies to many makes and models for me.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I have a Sumi tenor that has solid ziricote back and sides. It travelled the world to get to the uk and due to temperature changes suffered about a 1cm crack but in the gloss only. It is by far my favourite instrument!
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka 100th anniversary • Kanile'a KSR-T • LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

Like others, I have considered the laminate ziricote. It looks terrific and the laminate would ease my mind about durability.

If I was to buy a solid wood uke, it would almost for sure be mango. Which I think also looks fantastic.
    The crew...Giannini Baritone Uke, Washburn Rover "4-string tenor guitar", Yamaha G-85A classical guitar.

In the works....LP style long scale wide neck solid body electric tenor guitar.

Wall hanger...The Loar Honey Creek type-A Mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    "Almost bought one" applies to many makes and models for me.
    Which is a greater quantity for you Jerry? "Almost bought one" or "Bought one"?
    John

Thank you for the responses. Some one very knowledgeable about repairs said that ziricote is no more susceptible to cracking than other tropical woods that are popular. It depends on the quality of wood and the humidity control / drying if wood..

Thread Information