Experience with ziricote

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ziricote looks amazing! But I have heard that it is crack prone..
Do you own a ziricote back and sides? What has been your experience?

I do not have experience with ziricote. I was told by two luthiers and have read that it is a touchy wood to work with. That it's hard to bend and form and has a tendency to to crack and break even when it's bent and handled extremely carefully.

Amendment: The ziricote laminates hold up just fine. Two at my uke club, both over 4 years old, doing just fine.
To expand upon what I was told: It's a beautiful wood with great sound. Once it's shaped and assembled, it doesn't have any more problems than other hard woods. It's getting it to that point that's the difficult part.

Last edited:
I have a Kala ziricote baritone .... it's laminate; so no worries with the wood! If it's the look you're after, then this might be an alternative ... and it actually sounds pretty good!

I have a Kala ziricote baritone .... it's laminate; so no worries with the wood! If it's the look you're after, then this might be an alternative ... and it actually sounds pretty good!

I know two people with that uke, and they've held up very well. Laminates are less delicate.

I think that Kala ziricote baritone is gorgeous. Almost bought one, based on the looks alone. Glad to hear they hold up well.

I have a Sumi tenor that has solid ziricote back and sides. It travelled the world to get to the uk and due to temperature changes suffered about a 1cm crack but in the gloss only. It is by far my favourite instrument!

Like others, I have considered the laminate ziricote. It looks terrific and the laminate would ease my mind about durability.

If I was to buy a solid wood uke, it would almost for sure be mango. Which I think also looks fantastic.

Thank you for the responses. Some one very knowledgeable about repairs said that ziricote is no more susceptible to cracking than other tropical woods that are popular. It depends on the quality of wood and the humidity control / drying if wood..

Thank you for the responses. Some one very knowledgeable about repairs said that ziricote is no more susceptible to cracking than other tropical woods that are popular. It depends on the quality of wood and the humidity control / drying if wood..

That is good to know, kerneltime. Thanks for reporting back on this.

That is good to know, kerneltime. Thanks for reporting back on this.

You might want to check out the range of opinions. As an amateur builder I spend time on several luthier forums, and the most common term for ziricote is "crackwood"!

I don't have personal experience using it, so this is also second hand info. I'd be cautious though.

Laminate ziricote certainly won't be prone to cracks, so if you want the look that would be the safest way to go.

Top Bottom