Another renaissance vihuela de mano / viola da mano I've just completed

Dusepo

Reaction score
This is for a customer in the USA.

6HqkVv0.jpg

Another lovely build, Jo.
Your sound holes are truly exquisite.

As an aside, and definitely NOT A RECOMMENDATION …

An elderly local woodworker once made beautifully crafted cedar jewellery boxes. To make each box unique, he carved a different design into the top left hand corner of the lid.
On the completion of the carving he used a gas torch (with a deft hand) to burn off the remnant hairy fibres without any traces of scorching. The fibres glowed red before disappearing (the torch blows away the ash). The torch must never stop moving. His demonstration was on cedar, not on spruce.
If you think that there could be merit in this, be sure to carve up lots of practice scrap to acquire the correct time/distance relationship. By the time I witnessed this he had many years of practice. If it doesn't work for you, or you don't care to try it, please forget who mentioned it.

Another lovely build, Jo.
Your sound holes are truly exquisite.

As an aside, and definitely NOT A RECOMMENDATION …

An elderly local woodworker once made beautifully crafted cedar jewellery boxes. To make each box unique, he carved a different design into the top left hand corner of the lid.
On the completion of the carving he used a gas torch (with a deft hand) to burn off the remnant hairy fibres without any traces of scorching. The fibres glowed red before disappearing (the torch blows away the ash). The torch must never stop moving. His demonstration was on cedar, not on spruce.
If you think that there could be merit in this, be sure to carve up lots of practice scrap to acquire the correct time/distance relationship. By the time I witnessed this he had many years of practice. If it doesn't work for you, or you don't care to try it, please forget who mentioned it.

:O !!!

Well that sounds like a huge fire risk to me! I wouldn't want to risk it with a blowtorch, but maybe I could try it with a carefully placed soldering iron? Thanks for the idea, and thanks for your kind words.

No, no, no …. I would not have mentioned it if I thought that there was any real risk to personal safety or property, but if you have reservations, I will not try to convince you otherwise. If you are sceptical, don't even try it.
I'll just say this, then drop it.
The whole procedure takes seconds, there is no time for anything of substance to catch fire, the only things that have time to reach ignition point are the isolated hairy wood fibres. It should not be done around any solvents, of course. A 'fat' flame is wafted from side to side without pausing, at about 10”, until little red sparkles show that the fibres have combusted.... then you are done.
I think a soldering iron would be risky, not to personal safety, but to the safety of your work. I foresee little scorched patches marring the job. The heat transfer would be too slow.
For any one contemplating trying this, use only a gas flame, never an old kerosene/paraffin blow lamp … they intermittently sputter and spray atomised raw fuel droplets.

Top Bottom