Got to play my uke through a Pro custom tube amp....wonderful sound

Doc_J

Reaction score
I never though much about amps, as I usually just play acoustically, unamplified. Well, got an opportunity today to play my Pono chambered, passive pickup baritone through a pro custom 20W tube guitar amp. Man, that sounded great. Since I only have played it through my Yamaha THR5A or a $20 Rogue, I didn't know what to expect, especially since the uke just has a passive UTS pickup. But the clarity, tone and power were amazing.

Anyone else play through a nice tube amp and really like it?

This particular custom guitar amp is heading off to the newly open Capricorn Recording Studio in Macon, GA. Fortunately the builder let me try it out before it goes to its new home.

I never though much about amps, as I usually just play acoustically, unamplified. Well, got an opportunity today to play my Pono chambered, passive pickup baritone through a pro custom 20W tube guitar amp. Man, that sounded great. Since I only have played it through my Yamaha THR5A or a $20 Rogue, I didn't know what to expect, especially since the uke just has a passive UTS pickup. But the clarity, tone and power were amazing.

Anyone else play through a nice tube amp and really like it?

This particular custom guitar amp is heading off to the newly open Capricorn Recording Studio in Macon, GA. Fortunately the builder let me try it out before it goes to its new home.
Oh! I just started on the Yamaha for a performance. I only have one uke with a pickup.. I dread to ask, what does an amp that leaves an impression like that cost

I played my Godin Mulituke through one of my brothers tube amps this past summer. With a peddle board and the tube amp I was having all kinds of fun. I don't recall the brand of the amp, he has mostly vintage amps Fenders, Marshalls and a few others as well.......

Oh! I just started on the Yamaha for a performance. I only have one uke with a pickup.. I dread to ask, what does an amp that leaves an impression like that cost

I don’t know the price, I was afraid to ask. But, the builder doesn’t make many and prefers to collaborate with the musician on the amp build. This tube amp is all hand wired and custom tuned. It’s quality is beyond my playing skill.

These boutique, hand wired, custom tube amps appear to start around $2,000 New.

Careful there Hodge. Doing the deep dive into electronics is really dangerous and expensive ;)

I have not had the pleasure of playing through a tube amp before but I can only image. I have the same Yamaha as you and a Fishman Loud box Mini which is a huge step up in sound quality. The tube amp must be in whole other universe.

I have an old early 70s Fender Champ tube amp. Very mellow and clean sound......unlike my more recent Fender Frontman, which has a very digital sound. None of my ukes have pickups, but I do use a Myers add-on. The Champ wins hands down!

Top Bottom