Roland micro cube?

Nickie

Reaction score
Has anyone used a Roland micro cube with their bass?
What did you think?

you have to be a bit careful playing a bass through a guitar amp, you can damage it. however you can play the microcube through a bass amp of some kind, via the earphone socket at the back of the cube, and hence get the sound and effects of the cube, played through an amp that can safely take the bass tones. i have an old gear4music bass practice amp, and a mini fly bass amp - i often use my microcube, playing through either one of those, to play my bass uke, and my made-from-a-tin-and-an-old-bit-wood one-string bass.

I haven't but I'll have to try it with the Timber when it comes in. I'm not really expecting much but should be OK for quiet-ish practice.

Yes

Forget it, it was rubbish and just not powerful enough if you are talking about using a guitar Micro Cube.

Try looking at a Vox VX50B, the B is specifically the Bass model

I tried one of these with a Kala fretless UBass and it was amazing for its price, size and weight.

There is a Roland Cube specifically for a Bass that will be far better than a Micro Cube for a guitar but these cost near on £300 here in the UK.

Last edited:
I think I scored when I found a used (barely), Orange Crush 25 bass for $120, it's done everything I've needed, from playing in group jams with 20-100 people to concerts in large rooms. Compact and very solid...

Which bass amp would you suggest is optimal for price and performance using a Kona 3 string upright bass. Usually small groups and occasional play at seniors group homes. Needs to very portable and preferably not to heavy. New to the bass side of things.

Which Micro Bass are you asking about? It's a whole line not just one product. The Roland Micro Cube Bass RX is the amp I've seen most being hauled around by U-Bassers. It's a bit big and bulky to carry (I've seen a lot of carts toting them) but runs on batteries once you're there. There's more than enough boom for a decent sized group.

On the smaller & cheaper side, the Blackstar Fly 3 Bass Pack is pretty good. I have the combo pack with two wee little cabinets. Very portable (fits easily in a small backpack) and runs on batteries. It's fine for small groups. I can get more volume than I want, but with 3" speakers it can only produce so much boom. IIRC, kohanmike has a pair of these on a strap that he wears when playing the wandering minstrel.

The king of portables is probably the Phil Jones Double Four. I only know it by reputation. I've never heard one. It's small and portable. It doesn't run off of internal batteries, but it can be powered by an external laptop battery. I think Mike has one of these too.

Last edited:
Which Micro Bass are you asking about? It's a whole line not just one product. The Roland Micro Cube Bass RX is the amp I've seen most being hauled around by U-Bassers. It's a bit big and bulky to carry (I've seen a lot of carts toting them) but runs on batteries once you're there. There's more than enough boom for a decent sized group.

On the smaller & cheaper side, the Blackstar Fly 3 Bass Pack is pretty good. I have the combo pack with two wee little cabinets. Very portable (fits easily in a small backpack) and runs on batteries. It's fine for small groups. I can get more volume than I want, but with 3" speakers it can only produce so much boom. IIRC, kohanmike has a pair of these on a strap that he wears when playing the wandering minstrel.

The king of portables is probably the Phil Jones Double Four. I only know it by reputation. I've never heard one. It's small and portable. It doesn't run off of internal batteries, but it can be powered by an external laptop battery. I think Mike has one of these too.

Arcy, thanks, I will find out. I'm seeing a friend who has one tomorrow.

Thoughts on a Fender Rumble 40 versus the previous mentioned amps? Seems to run in the same price range or less?

Thoughts on a Fender Rumble 40 versus the previous mentioned amps? Seems to run in the same price range or less?
Good amp, but not in the readily portable category. It's much bigger and heavier than the Micro Cube Bass (which is already on the large side of portable), and the Rumble doesn't run on batteries. You'll get better sound per dollar out of it (size matters), but I wouldn't want to carry it very far.

I'd cross-shop the Fender with the Orange Crush mentioned here (also not a portable), but not with the Micro Cube, Vox, Blackstar, or Phil Joneses. I'd leave the Fender for practice at home or if I needed to compete with louder instruments than ukes.

Any advise on the rechargeable PigNose Bass Amp???

The other bass player in my group had one, but it didn't sound very good, so he got rid of it.

The Fly 3 Bass dual box is good for very limited distance, I only use it when roaming hospital rooms since I can hang it on me.

When I first starting playing bass uke about 5 years ago, I used my Crate Limo 50w guitar amp that is battery powered ($350 25 years ago). It worked fine for enclosed places, but for our first outdoor gig, it did not cut it, and it is heavy, so I bought a Phil Jones Bass Double Four 70w with a laptop battery that slips into the PJBD4 handle ($525 all in). It's a great amp, works for our rehearsals and smaller indoor gigs, but when it didn't cut it for outdoors, I took a big step up and bought major rig, a 250w Carvin MB15 combo amp and matching external cabinet, each with a 15" light weight neo speaker ($810). So now I'm covered for any kind of gig.

Fly 3 rig:
Walnut me and Fly 3.jpg

Phil Jones Bass Double Four and battery:
PJD4 & Battery.jpg

Carvin MB15/115MBE rig:
Carvin rig and me.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks for your responses. I have a Fly 3 Bass Dual Box which is great for practice and jamming with a few folks. I wanted to go for a bit bigger sound but not break the bank. I purchased a Fender Rumble 40 on Reverb for a reasonable price. I will play a Kona 3 string Walking Bass and see how that matches up. Should be fun!
Thanks Again

Good choice with the Rumble 40. My friend has the Bass RX & the 40 is only a little heavier, but can play much louder, plus you can hook it up to a PA system via its' XLR connection. It replaced my Roland Supercube Bass (60 watts, 12" spkr) that I had since the mid-80's.

Thanks for all your help.
We've opted for the Fender Rumble 40.
I'm getting it for her for Christmas. It might be late if Sam Ash hasn't got it in stock, but she said that's okay.

Top Bottom