NUD: aNueNue Moon Bird Soprano US200

AustinHing

Reaction score
I’m on holidays with my wife in Taipei, Taiwan now as I write this NUD post. So long story short:
1. aNueNue shop is on my to-go list while in Taipei.
2. Not looking for the moon bird at all.
3. Full intentions to try out the bird series ukes without buying anything. (Very thick skinned!)
4. Steven at aNueNue was really friendly and happily let me try any uke I wanted.
5. Played the moon birds, 3k koa birds, 5k koas birds etc. Very satisfied. (Moonbird is the best out of all the birds, imo.)
6. Left the shop without buying anything. Mission accomplished!
7. Can’t sleep at night and kept browsing for the moon bird. Oh no...
8. Thought of getting a cheaper aNueNue uke to curb the urge.
9. Wife said, “the mid tier ukes are like toyotas and you have plenty at home. Instead, should go for the Rolls Royce.” Am I hearing right?
10. Went back to aNueNue shop on the 3rd day (yesterday)
11. Alas, the moon bird soprano on display is the last piece and is without pickup installed. (I wanted pickup)
12. Steven at aNueNue said, “No problem, I can buff/polish the finish and install the aNueNue Air Air pickup. Come back in 2 hours.”
13. 2 hours later, back at the shop. Very anxious.
14. Pickup installed nicely and tidy, saddle filed.
15. Test run with the amp. Very playable with easy barring. Pickup is even and responsive at each string. Very natural sounding with the onboard microphone in the pickup. Thumbs up for Steven.
15. Steven threw in a bunch of freebies. Uke strap, tuner, micro fibre cloth and a special gift. Even recommended places to go for good street food in Taipei. He’s really a nice dude.
16. And finally a proof that it happened.
y17rltXl.jpg

More pictures coming and a video.

Thanks for reading!

I’m on holidays with my wife in Taipei, Taiwan now as I write this NUD post. So long story short:
1. aNueNue shop is on my to-go list while in Taipei.
2. Not looking for the moon bird at all.
3. Full intentions to try out the bird series ukes without buying anything. (Very thick skinned!)
4. Steven at aNueNue was really friendly and happily let me try any uke I wanted.
5. Played the moon birds, 3k koa birds, 5k koas birds etc. Very satisfied. (Moonbird is the best out of all the birds, imo.)
6. Left the shop without buying anything. Mission accomplished!
7. Can’t sleep at night and kept browsing for the moon bird. Oh no...
8. Thought of getting a cheaper aNueNue uke to curb the urge.
9. Wife said, “the mid tier ukes are like toyotas and you have plenty at home. Instead, should go for the Rolls Royce.” Am I hearing right?
10. Went back to aNueNue shop on the 3rd day (yesterday)
11. Alas, the moon bird soprano on display is the last piece and is without pickup installed. (I wanted pickup)
12. Steven at aNueNue said, “No problem, I can buff/polish the finish and install the aNueNue Air Air pickup. Come back in 2 hours.”
13. 2 hours later, back at the shop. Very anxious.
14. Pickup installed nicely and tidy, saddle filed.
15. Test run with the amp. Very playable with easy barring. Pickup is even and responsive at each string. Very natural sounding with the onboard microphone in the pickup. Thumbs up for Steven.
15. Steven threw in a bunch of freebies. Uke strap, tuner, micro fibre cloth and a special gift. Even recommended places to go for good street food in Taipei. He’s really a nice dude.
16. And finally a proof that it happened.
y17rltXl.jpg

More pictures coming and a video.

Thanks for reading!
Wow! Nice to know about the factory store! Congratulations! Were you looking for soprano?
Sounds like an awesome vacation!

Great story for what sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to hearing more.

Congratulations on your new Moonbird! This is the uke that is at the very top of my wish list, so I’m looking forward to your video.

And here are the pics!

The freebies and the moon bird.
lnzH5ePl.jpg

Freebie include the Corey and Kalei limited release CD for their taiwan tour.
es6932Cl.jpg

Song list
HUfEoMdl.jpg

A very plushy cushy case. The little fat moon bird’s home.
6euTjCnl.jpg

(To be continued due to exceed picture number limit)

Headstock
JRE8rLIl.jpg

Radiused fretboard (very slighted but is enough)
qFx6WSIl.jpg

Gotoh UPT and mahogany neck
2LHGjX7l.jpg

Moon eclipse period inlay
49emQa2l.jpg

(To be continued due to picture number limit)

Kerfing (never seen sloped kerfing, I assumed it would save some weight yet be strong enough)
LLw29Oil.jpg

Soundhole rosette (and there’s the pickup controls right there. Mic and volume controls. The microphone is built-in on the pickup itself and it picks up sound within the soundbox. It’s quite natural sounding.
eFcjgwql.jpg

And the moon spruce soundboard and the tied bar bridge. The spruce looks pretty straight grain to me and wavy binding looks impressive in person.
Dq979qvl.jpg

Newly screwed-in plugin for pickup. Gotta thanks Steven for a job well done. By the way, pickup installation is free if it is done when purchasing the uke.
Yw3R1WCl.jpg

(To be continued due to picture number limit)

The back. Love the off shoulder look and is one of the reasons for getting the moon bird.
C7l7f2el.jpg

And the final full uke shot.
jUeANL5l.jpg

Please pardon my very stiff playing and poor recording. Did it in my hotel room. It’s a very famous song of the late Taiwanese songstress, Teresa Teng, “The Moon Represents My Heart”, 月亮代表我的心. I guess this song is appropriate for the moon bird.

Finally I wish to thanks everyone (especially Steven) at the shop for such a pleasant experience. There’s no pressure to buy and no sale talk at all despite me trying out all the bird ukuleles. I would recommend it if you wish to get an aNueNue uke.

Thanks for reading!

Wow! Nice to know about the factory store! Congratulations! Were you looking for soprano?
Sounds like an awesome vacation!

Thanks, Kerneltime! I wasn’t looking for any uke in particular but the soprano speaks to me more. I did tried the concert and funny thing is the soprano is louder. And that fat bottom bout is really appealing.

Great story for what sounds like a great trip! Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks rainbow21! The entire experience really makes this little moon bird felt so personal to me.

Congratulations on your new Moonbird! This is the uke that is at the very top of my wish list, so I’m looking forward to your video.

Thanks Jan D! I’m still working on my uke level to match the moon bird. I think you should check out Corey playing on this soprano moon bird. That should give you a better perspective.

Well done and a fabulous NUD post, one of the better examples I have seen. Everybody loves to see lots of pictures and you did not disappoint. I am very happy for you, now make sure you treat that special wife of yours to something nice. Enjoy :D

Well done and a fabulous NUD post, one of the better examples I have seen. Everybody loves to see lots of pictures and you did not disappoint. I am very happy for you, now make sure you treat that special wife of yours to something nice. Enjoy :D

Thanks Dave and I’m glad you like the pictures as I have enjoyed taking them! Well, I treat her dinner at an exquisite Japanese bbq restaurant where it serves her favourite Iberico pork.

Fat bottom bouts do make the rockin' world go 'round :D
Haha, guess we shared the same taste, BigJackBrass. And I like Queen too! :)

Congratulations!

I like #9.
Thanks Jerry! What’s no.9 by the way?im lost!

Congrats on your Moonbird & thanks for the story. Funny how things work out sometimes. Moonbirds are so unique, in looks and in sound. Have fun with you "Fat Bottom Baby."

PS - AirAir pick-up installed for free.......I'm so jealous!

What a great NUD.
You got a great ukulele with a fun story behind it.
Enjoy!

Oh, that! Haha.. I was absolutely shocked by her comment but also absolutely love her for that. It’s true that my signature does not reflect exactly the number of ukes I have.

Congrats on your Moonbird & thanks for the story. Funny how things work out sometimes. Moonbirds are so unique, in looks and in sound. Have fun with you "Fat Bottom Baby."

PS - AirAir pick-up installed for free.......I'm so jealous!

Thanks RafterGirl. Yup, it’s amusing that I brought out my cheap laminate soprano for fear of damaging my solid uke but now I’m carrying a solid wood high end uke back home.

I’m refraining myself from touching the fat bottom moon bird too much though. Have to remind myself I’m still on vacation. Haha.

Regarding the pickup installation, the folks at aNueNue shop said they would do it for free regardless of the uke’s price tag as long as the installation and the purchase of to-be-install uke is on the same day. I thought that is an amazing service.

Holy cow, what a nice uke. You really hit the jackpot. I mean with your wife. Well, the uke, too.
Make sure your uke's is the only other bottom you touch, she won't mind that at all.
Congrats!

Top Bottom