Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ukulele to choose?

Question Which ukulele to choose?

Hello,

I do already have a ukulele soprano, but it was quite cheap and I don't really like the sound of it. So I want to buy a new one, but don't know wich one to choose.

Does someone know if the Kala ka-c and the enya OMS 4 sound really different? Or do you have any other suggestion to have a ukulele that does not sound to bad but not too expensive? Let me know

Maryyy

Quote Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
    Hello,

I do already have a ukulele soprano, but it was quite cheap and I don't really like the sound of it. So I want to buy a new one, but don't know wich one to choose.

Does someone know if the Kala ka-c and the enya OMS 4 sound really different? Or do you have any other suggestion to have a ukulele that does not sound to bad but not too expensive? Let me know

Maryyy
    They are concert sized so will have a less presence and punch than the soprano. For ukuleles in this price range you can't really expect systematic differences for ukes of the same size between brands as they are all pretty much the same design and often built in the same factory. But there are often huge variations from one individual instrument to the next, depending on how much glue, paint, polishing etc was applied by a worker. So if you can't compare them in a store it's just a gamble buying online,with equally small chances of getting a really great uke or a totally unplayable piece of junk - the vast majority will be in the middle as ok but unremarkable instruments.

Maryyy,
    Mim of MIMS ukes can be quite helpful here. Also, Hawaii Music Supply used to sell a lot of Kala ukes. Mike of Uke Republic can be quite helpful to folks searching in your price range. Mim and Mike are used to helping beginners.
    I recommend avoiding Amazon.com. That's a crapshoot.
    Good luck.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I would go for an Islander AC4. I love mine. It’s laminate but very well build and good sounding.
    Ohana TK-35G, Kanilea K1 DLX tenor, Kanilea K1 SF concert, Imua ICN, Famous FS-5, Luna (Kiwaya L400), Islander AC4, Flea concert, Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor, Kala Rumbler FL, The Rebel Double Cheesecake

Check out Mainland Ukes

They come with a good setup, so they play nicely and sound good. They're possibly the best value for solid wood ukuleles in America.
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Default Ohana SK-70WG

I have an Ohana SK-70WG Solid Spruce Top / Willow Laminate Sides and Back Soprano I'd be willing to sell.

It's bright with very good projection. A pretty accurate sound example here at Uke Republic along with a current listing:

https://cargo.ukerepublic.com/produc...-ukulele-w-bag

I bought it for $179.00 USD from Uke Republic last year for my wife. (They are currently listed for $189.00.) She decided she couldn't afford to develop callouses on her fingers, so it's been sitting in a closet ever since. (I played it twice for about 5 minutes each time, to remind myself why I don't play sopranos.) So, it's in like new condition.

I'd be willing to sell it for $125.00 USD including shipping to CONUS and PayPal fee.
    (Would have to find out cost to ship to Alaska and Hawaii.)

Let me know if you are interested. I can take pictures if you want to see it.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 12-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Hi Maryyy,

A blemished Ohana CK-20 from Mim would be a great solid top uke, the CK-10 for laminate uke. Typically you won’t see the blemish and if you use it at all you will be giving it some of your own! Call / email her. She’s a joy to work with.
    https://www.mimsukes.com/search?cond...rt&type=reverb

PS. We want pics of what you get!!
    Last edited by vanflynn; 12-13-2019 at 02:18 PM.

If at all possible go somewhere you can try out different ones and find out more what you like best.
    Go to a ukulele group or Guitar Center or other store that lets you try floor models.

If buying is your only option then a Kala Spruce top is good choice, size/scale depends on your preferences. If you felt cramped go up in size. MGM always recommended Kala spruce tops.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Welcome.

A Kala will be a better buy than an Enya, I bought an Enya and it arrived with a bent and twisted neck.

Now I have a Kala which is what it is for its price point.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Try to watch this vid, possibly after learning deeper how different ukulele sounds, you may understand your wishes
    Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

Thread Information