Which ukulele to choose?

Maryyy

Reaction score
Hello,

I do already have a ukulele soprano, but it was quite cheap and I don't really like the sound of it. So I want to buy a new one, but don't know wich one to choose.

Does someone know if the Kala ka-c and the enya OMS 4 sound really different? Or do you have any other suggestion to have a ukulele that does not sound to bad but not too expensive? Let me know :)

Maryyy

Hello,

I do already have a ukulele soprano, but it was quite cheap and I don't really like the sound of it. So I want to buy a new one, but don't know wich one to choose.

Does someone know if the Kala ka-c and the enya OMS 4 sound really different? Or do you have any other suggestion to have a ukulele that does not sound to bad but not too expensive? Let me know :)

Maryyy

They are concert sized so will have a less presence and punch than the soprano. For ukuleles in this price range you can't really expect systematic differences for ukes of the same size between brands as they are all pretty much the same design and often built in the same factory. But there are often huge variations from one individual instrument to the next, depending on how much glue, paint, polishing etc was applied by a worker. So if you can't compare them in a store it's just a gamble buying online,with equally small chances of getting a really great uke or a totally unplayable piece of junk - the vast majority will be in the middle as ok but unremarkable instruments.

Maryyy,
Mim of MIMS ukes can be quite helpful here. Also, Hawaii Music Supply used to sell a lot of Kala ukes. Mike of Uke Republic can be quite helpful to folks searching in your price range. Mim and Mike are used to helping beginners.
I recommend avoiding Amazon.com. That's a crapshoot.
Good luck.

I would go for an Islander AC4. I love mine. It’s laminate but very well build and good sounding.

Check out Mainland Ukes

They come with a good setup, so they play nicely and sound good. They're possibly the best value for solid wood ukuleles in America.

Ohana SK-70WG

I have an Ohana SK-70WG Solid Spruce Top / Willow Laminate Sides and Back Soprano I'd be willing to sell.

It's bright with very good projection. A pretty accurate sound example here at Uke Republic along with a current listing:

https://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-sk-70wg-solid-spruce-willow-soprano-ukulele-w-bag

I bought it for $179.00 USD from Uke Republic last year for my wife. (They are currently listed for $189.00.) She decided she couldn't afford to develop callouses on her fingers, so it's been sitting in a closet ever since. (I played it twice for about 5 minutes each time, to remind myself why I don't play sopranos.) So, it's in like new condition.

I'd be willing to sell it for $125.00 USD including shipping to CONUS and PayPal fee.
(Would have to find out cost to ship to Alaska and Hawaii.)

Let me know if you are interested. I can take pictures if you want to see it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If at all possible go somewhere you can try out different ones and find out more what you like best.
Go to a ukulele group or Guitar Center or other store that lets you try floor models.

If buying is your only option then a Kala Spruce top is good choice, size/scale depends on your preferences. If you felt cramped go up in size. MGM always recommended Kala spruce tops.

Welcome.

A Kala will be a better buy than an Enya, I bought an Enya and it arrived with a bent and twisted neck.

Now I have a Kala which is what it is for its price point.

Try to watch this vid, possibly after learning deeper how different ukulele sounds, you may understand your wishes

I always suggest a concert scale as a first uke, Kala or Ohana, both have good value at the lower end.

Buy from a reputable online dealer, if you have no shop near you, don't trust to luck with Amazon.

Buy from a reputable online dealer, if you have no shop near you, don't trust to luck with Amazon.

Agree 100% I bought my first ukulele on Amazon because I had a couple of gift cards. A Fender Nohea koa laminated tenor. It was an OK uke, but it took a pair of Vicegrips to barre the first two frets. After playing it for 4 months, I found out about setups. Nut was way too high. As was the saddle. Played much better after the setup was done.

Amazon just ships out the boxes they receive from the manufacturer. No setup. No examination for cracks or flaws. You get both with a reputable dealer. Some offer it for free with the ukes they sell.

Check out Mainland Ukes

They come with a good setup, so they play nicely and sound good. They're possibly the best value for solid wood ukuleles in America.

I love my Mainland mahogany concert ... my first Uke. Great value, nice sound, & supporting a small company based out of Indiana. I read somewhere the the Mainland Ukes are made in the same factory as Ohana?? Not sure if that’s true, but they look similar. Definitely worth researching Mainlands.

Top Bottom