Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Baritone Ukulele?

The drone can then be part of the major key, or, it can be be a 7, sus4 or add9.

Here's some examples:

A
    A/D/E9
    F/G9/A

G
    G/C/Ds
    C/F9/G

F
    F/Bb/Cs
    Cs/F/G7

E
    E/A/Bs
    A/D9/E

D
    G/C9/D
    D/G/As

Yes, I do like to 'piddle' around

I just wish I could learn a proper banjo roll. My strums and arpeggios are getting boring. It's my own fault for not stickin'-to-it.

Disclaimer: I am not a music scholar. I cannot read music, per se. I only know what I like to hear.
    Last edited by Wiggy; 04-19-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Well, good luck with whatever you’re doin’. I finished my Irish banjo studies, and now I gotta work on my tremolos for Italian tunes.

Have fun.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel Banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum Banjo music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I usta have a Gold Tone concert banjolele, but I traded in back to the store for a Tenor. However, the store also had a GT baritone ukulele! Boy, I wish I’da had my mind right then. I sure would like to have the baritone instead of my tenor now — ahhh, well . . .

Increasingly, I'm starting to think that the baritone ukulele is the most perfect of instruments. If you come from a guitar background, then learning it in standard DGBE tuning is not a problem. It's easy to turn into a low G uke by placing a capo on the 5th fret. Nylon strings = easy on the fingers, plus you get a cool classical guitar vibe. It's easy to change to alternate tunings. Its parlour size makes it great for travel. I just love it.

Here's a great blog for baritone players, though I'm sure it's already been posted here many times and likely features many posters on this forum: http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by roger67 View Post
    Increasingly, I'm starting to think that the baritone ukulele is the most perfect of instruments. If you come from a guitar background, then learning it in standard DGBE tuning is not a problem. It's easy to turn into a low G uke by placing a capo on the 5th fret. Nylon strings = easy on the fingers, plus you get a cool classical guitar vibe. It's easy to change to alternate tunings. Its parlour size makes it great for travel. I just love it.

Here's a great blog for baritone players, though I'm sure it's already been posted here many times and likely features many posters on this forum: http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/
    I couldn’t agree more. I really enjoy mine.

My baritone uke arrived yesterday from Amazon, and today Baritone Ukulele From Scratch and Baritone Ukulele Aerobics arrived.

I've been practicing my CAGED chords. Man, my left hand has forgotten everything it ever knew about chords. Just was well. My right hand never managed to learn anything to begin with.

I’m in love with my Pono steel string baritone. The sustain is unreal and the tone is really nice. Previously I played a mahogany bari, but not sure I’ll ever go back to it. Only problem is the world of steel strings is new to me. One could spend a fortune trying to get just the right ones. Any suggestions out there are welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by about2 View Post
    I’m in love with my Pono steel string baritone. The sustain is unreal and the tone is really nice. Previously I played a mahogany bari, but not sure I’ll ever go back to it. Only problem is the world of steel strings is new to me. One could spend a fortune trying to get just the right ones. Any suggestions out there are welcomed!
    Steel string baritones rock! I have a Compass Rose (Rick Turner) steel string baritone and I love how it sounds. I think he recommended D'Addario guitar strings (the middle four). YMMV. I got a spare set by going to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, where they measured the guages on the strings the uke came with and put together a set.

Thread Information