Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Baritone Ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Hmm from what I've discovered online, tenor guitar was always tuned EADG by default. There's a fb group for TG and baritone uke and they clearly state EADG as the most common tuning, something which I'd already heard about via google
    Wikipedia:
    Tenor guitars are normally tuned in fifths (usually C3 G3 D4 A4, similar to the tenor banjo, mandola, or the viola) although other tunings are also common, such as "guitar tuning", "Chicago tuning," or baritone ukulele tuning (D3 G3 B3 E4), "Irish" or "octave mandolin" tuning (G2 D3 A3 E4, like a mandolin or violin but one octave below) and various "open" tunings, for slide playing. The tenor guitar can also be tuned like a soprano/concert/tenor ukulele, using various versions of G3 C4 E4 A4 tuning.

When the tenor banjo fell out of favor in the 1920s, guitar companies started making a four string version so banjo players could find work. Since the tenor banjos were tuned CGDA, that’s how TG started out. Now all different tunings are being used. I think this most recent wave of ukulele interest has led even more folks eventually to TG. Since they are not comping from a banjo background, they are more likely to think DGBE. So that tuning is getting more and more popular.
    I like GDAE tuning. I like the range. It’s most associated with Celtic music which I only occasionally play. I use 40, 30, 20, 11 on my 23” scale TG.
    Last edited by bunnyf; Today at 02:25 PM.

Thread Information