Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Baritone Ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Hmm from what I've discovered online, tenor guitar was always tuned EADG by default. There's a fb group for TG and baritone uke and they clearly state EADG as the most common tuning, something which I'd already heard about via google
    Wikipedia:
    Tenor guitars are normally tuned in fifths (usually C3 G3 D4 A4, similar to the tenor banjo, mandola, or the viola) although other tunings are also common, such as "guitar tuning", "Chicago tuning," or baritone ukulele tuning (D3 G3 B3 E4), "Irish" or "octave mandolin" tuning (G2 D3 A3 E4, like a mandolin or violin but one octave below) and various "open" tunings, for slide playing. The tenor guitar can also be tuned like a soprano/concert/tenor ukulele, using various versions of G3 C4 E4 A4 tuning.

When the tenor banjo fell out of favor in the 1920s, guitar companies started making a four string version so banjo players could find work. Since the tenor banjos were tuned CGDA, that’s how TG started out. Now all different tunings are being used. I think this most recent wave of ukulele interest has led even more folks eventually to TG. Since they are not comping from a banjo background, they are more likely to think DGBE. So that tuning is getting more and more popular.
    I like GDAE tuning. I like the range. It’s most associated with Celtic music which I only occasionally play. I use 40, 30, 20, 11 on my 23” scale TG.
    Last edited by bunnyf; 03-31-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    Wikipedia:
    Tenor guitars are normally tuned in fifths (usually C3 G3 D4 A4, similar to the tenor banjo, mandola, or the viola) although other tunings are also common, such as "guitar tuning", "Chicago tuning," or baritone ukulele tuning (D3 G3 B3 E4), "Irish" or "octave mandolin" tuning (G2 D3 A3 E4, like a mandolin or violin but one octave below) and various "open" tunings, for slide playing. The tenor guitar can also be tuned like a soprano/concert/tenor ukulele, using various versions of G3 C4 E4 A4 tuning.

When the tenor banjo fell out of favor in the 1920s, guitar companies started making a four string version so banjo players could find work. Since the tenor banjos were tuned CGDA, that’s how TG started out. Now all different tunings are being used. I think this most recent wave of ukulele interest has led even more folks eventually to TG. Since they are not comping from a banjo background, they are more likely to think DGBE. So that tuning is getting more and more popular.
    I like GDAE tuning. I like the range. It’s most associated with Celtic music which I only occasionally play. I use 40, 30, 20, 11 on my 23” scale TG.
    I agree with this post completely, bunnyf. My Kala KA-GTR came tuned to CGDA which I really don’t care for, so I changed it to DGBE. However, then I bought a Blueridge tenor guitar (also tuned to CGDA) and changed it to DGBE also. Then I had two exactly tuned guitars . . .

So I decided, since I needed somethin’ to use for plectrum music, to change the Kala to CGBD. Now I use it to play plectrum folk tunes and classical music.

Anyway, I guess I’m sayin’ that tenor guitars are pretty versatile. I like mine a lot.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 04-03-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel Banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum Banjo music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum ‘n Sing

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I bought a set of Baritone Aquilas for GCEA tuning(Gunpowder Grey Packaging) by error. I have a couple of Baritones, so when the strings got worn on one, I thought I'd try and see how they sounded. Now what I would like to know is how tense should those strings be. They sounded too floppy at a low tension, but they are beginning to feel too tense at several tones below GCEA.. should I continue or am I an octave above where I should be?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Do they feel "right" at DGBE? Perhaps they were mis-packaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    I bought a set of Baritone Aquilas for GCEA tuning(Gunpowder Grey Packaging) by error. I have a couple of Baritones, so when the strings got worn on one, I thought I'd try and see how they sounded. Now what I would like to know is how tense should those strings be. They sounded too floppy at a low tension, but they are beginning to feel too tense at several tones below GCEA.. should I continue or am I an octave above where I should be?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    It’s been awhile since I tried gcea on a baritone. I tried living water linear and found the g too thick and in general they were floppy. I also tried south coast reentrant and of course the high g was better but in general the tension was floppy.

Use a tuner (free online) that has the octave #. You should be in octave 4.

I did this a few years back and I still love the sound of it.

For a standard DGBE Baritone, de-tune the D down to a C to try this out.

Play the C chord and you get a feel for why I went this way. I use a D'Addario .035w for Low C

This chart is a WIP...

-Wiggy

<edit> The "o" means optional fingering.'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wiggy; 04-16-2020 at 02:47 PM.

I use CGBD to play Plectrum Banjo music on my Kala guitar and my Lanikai banjolele.. If one added the g it would be the old time (gCGBD) 5 string banjo tuning.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 04-22-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Futurethink View Post
    Do they feel "right" at DGBE? Perhaps they were mis-packaged?
    I think you may be right.... They sound fine in DGBE. And the tension feels "normal".

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

D-U-D: gCGBE is exactly how I tune my Gold Tone Banjola. The CGBE are the same pitch as my Baritone. I just kinda figured it out on my own... how would I know somebody else figured it out long before me?

That was a joke, BTW!

I can tune the 5th (drone) string from C up to A for keys C-D-E-F-G-A. Tuned C, it is a bit loose, but still useable. It is an .011" and will break if I try to tune any higher than A. It is reliable at A. I tried an .010 and .012, but .011 is the best compromise.

-Wiggy

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    D-U-D: gCGBE is exactly how I tune my Gold Tone Banjola. The CGBE are the same pitch as my Baritone. I just kinda figured it out on my own... how would I know somebody else figured it out long before me?

That was a joke, BTW!

I can tune the 5th (drone) string from C up to A for keys C-D-E-F-G-A. Tuned C, it is a bit loose, but still useable. It is an .011" and will break if I try to tune any higher than A. It is reliable at A. I tried an .010 and .012, but .011 is the best compromise.

-Wiggy
    I’m sorry, but I just don’t understand what the heck you are talking about. Why are you retunin’ the drone up and down? Are you just experimenting or what? I play in gDGBD, gDGCD and gCGCD, so you can see that I never need to change my drone string except to tune it.

I’d rather play tunes than piddle around changing everything on my instruments. Right now I’m working on Irish music with my GDAE tuned Irish banjo.

Thread Information