Baritone Ukulele?

The drone can then be part of the major key, or, it can be be a 7, sus4 or add9.

Here's some examples:

A
A/D/E9
F/G9/A

G
G/C/Ds
C/F9/G

F
F/Bb/Cs
Cs/F/G7

E
E/A/Bs
A/D9/E

D
G/C9/D
D/G/As

Yes, I do like to 'piddle' around :)

I just wish I could learn a proper banjo roll. My strums and arpeggios are getting boring. It's my own fault for not stickin'-to-it.

Disclaimer: I am not a music scholar. I cannot read music, per se. I only know what I like to hear.

Last edited:
Well, good luck with whatever you’re doin’. I finished my Irish banjo studies, and now I gotta work on my tremolos for Italian tunes.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I usta have a Gold Tone concert banjolele, but I traded in back to the store for a Tenor. However, the store also had a GT baritone ukulele! Boy, I wish I’da had my mind right then. I sure would like to have the baritone instead of my tenor now — ahhh, well . . .

Last edited:
Increasingly, I'm starting to think that the baritone ukulele is the most perfect of instruments. If you come from a guitar background, then learning it in standard DGBE tuning is not a problem. It's easy to turn into a low G uke by placing a capo on the 5th fret. Nylon strings = easy on the fingers, plus you get a cool classical guitar vibe. It's easy to change to alternate tunings. Its parlour size makes it great for travel. I just love it.

Here's a great blog for baritone players, though I'm sure it's already been posted here many times and likely features many posters on this forum: http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

Increasingly, I'm starting to think that the baritone ukulele is the most perfect of instruments. If you come from a guitar background, then learning it in standard DGBE tuning is not a problem. It's easy to turn into a low G uke by placing a capo on the 5th fret. Nylon strings = easy on the fingers, plus you get a cool classical guitar vibe. It's easy to change to alternate tunings. Its parlour size makes it great for travel. I just love it.

Here's a great blog for baritone players, though I'm sure it's already been posted here many times and likely features many posters on this forum: http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

I couldn’t agree more. I really enjoy mine.

Last edited:
My baritone uke arrived yesterday from Amazon, and today Baritone Ukulele From Scratch and Baritone Ukulele Aerobics arrived.

I've been practicing my CAGED chords. Man, my left hand has forgotten everything it ever knew about chords. Just was well. My right hand never managed to learn anything to begin with.

I’m in love with my Pono steel string baritone. The sustain is unreal and the tone is really nice. Previously I played a mahogany bari, but not sure I’ll ever go back to it. Only problem is the world of steel strings is new to me. One could spend a fortune trying to get just the right ones. Any suggestions out there are welcomed!

I’m in love with my Pono steel string baritone. The sustain is unreal and the tone is really nice. Previously I played a mahogany bari, but not sure I’ll ever go back to it. Only problem is the world of steel strings is new to me. One could spend a fortune trying to get just the right ones. Any suggestions out there are welcomed!

Steel string baritones rock! I have a Compass Rose (Rick Turner) steel string baritone and I love how it sounds. I think he recommended D'Addario guitar strings (the middle four). YMMV. I got a spare set by going to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, where they measured the guages on the strings the uke came with and put together a set.

I just reread some of this thread, and I still think a Baritone Uke is more tenor guitar than ukulele.
I very much agree. I call it a baby guitar as it seems to have a lot more in common with it than a uke.
Baritone is so underated yet such a delightful instrument to play. I've already converted three friends to it so far. 😅

I smiled when I saw this thread in the guitar forum, because I've always thought of the bari as more of a small tenor guitar than an ukulele. The re-entrant tuning sounds nice, too.

I started James Hill's course but didnt get far. I think it was in that course he said that the notes that stand out in a chord are

1. the highest note
2. The last note
3. the lowest note
4. the first note

Somewhat in that order (not sure about 3 and 4), so last note as a high note stands out the most but low note as the last note would work somewhat too, as you describe. Low note as the first note is going to be relatively indistinct from the rest of the chord.

He often plays only 2-3 strings of a chord so that the melody note is the last high note.
I started it too, and after a year, only got through book 3.

My baritone ukes also led to my tenor guitar. I have always loved the sound and sustain of steel strings...

My U-Bass led me to a baritone uke, which then led me to a Kala tenor as well as an Eastwood electric tenor (which is SO awesome and I highly recommend). I use P4 tuning for all of them because of starting out with the bass.

I think it's the perfect instrument for non-string players. I play flute and percussion professionally, and my 4-string instruments are mainly for self-accompanying when I want to sing pop songs at home or with friends.

My three year old grandson has reached a point where he differentiates between ukuleles and guitars. According to him the baritone is in the guitar category and has taken to correcting me if I refer to it as a ukulele. So as far as I'm concerned that is the final word on it. I'm certainly not going to argue with him over it.

Out of 50 ukulele players in various groups that I jam with, there’s only ONE baritone ukulele. They’re as rare as steel guitarists, drummers, banjo players & flautists! A lot easier to find bass or guitar players.

that's actually a boon for me because that makes me a guitarist and a multi-instrumentalist! Just don't tell anyone that I never bothered to learn the chords on the barito--I mean the guitar. I actually don't know what I'm playing because I use soprano ukulele chords and fretmaps. I always compose in what I think is E on the uke, but that means I am actually playing in B on the guitar but that means I actually play in Ab because I always downtune 3 half-steps.

I just reread some of this thread, and I still think a Baritone Uke is more tenor guitar than ukulele.
I have both. Ukuleles tend to sound more percussive, by which I mean that because they generally have little sustain, a note or a strum feels more like an impact sound (for lack of a better way to describe it) to me. On the other hand, tenor guitars, like other guitars, have a lot of sustain, especially if they have steel strings, but even if they don't. I attribute that sustain to the longer scale and the way they're braced. To me, a baritone ukulele has more of that percussive ukulele sound and less of that guitar-ish ringing out sound of tenor guitars. I don't think my non-steel string baritones and my steel string tenor guitars as being interchangeable at all, aside from the fact that because my tenor guitars are tuned DGBE, I fret them the same way I would fret a baritone. I think there's something qualitatively different about the sound of the two types of instruments, at least the ones I have -- the baritones are definitely more "percussive" to my ear than the tenor guitars are, and to my ear, that makes baritones sound more like ukuleles than guitars.

Top Bottom