Baritone Ukulele?

I started with a tenor uke (getting dust) and then I find out the wonderful baritone. I have 3 of them tuned DGBE. I was considering changing one of them to a different tuning. I have several sets of DGBE strings. Can I use those sets to try a different tuning besides DGBE and dGBE? If so, and correct me if I'm wrong, the chord shapes would be different I suppose.
Just an observation: Wouldn't be nice to have a section here in UU forum just for the baritone uke? I keep using the search button to read threads about the baritone. Just a thought.

Have a nice 2023 friends.

I started with a tenor uke (getting dust) and then I find out the wonderful baritone. I have 3 of them tuned DGBE. I was considering changing one of them to a different tuning. I have several sets of DGBE strings. Can I use those sets to try a different tuning besides DGBE and dGBE? If so, and correct me if I'm wrong, the chord shapes would be different I suppose.
Just an observation: Wouldn't be nice to have a section here in UU forum just for the baritone uke? I keep using the search button to read threads about the baritone. Just a thought.

Have a nice 2023 friends.

A baritone specific board would be definitely appreciated. Although I have learned a lot that I would not have found otherwise by searching threads that aren't bari specific.

I played my Baritone yesterday and again today. I’m workin’ on the C and D chords to sing with. I haven’t sang or played the baritone for a little while, so I’m a bit rusty.

I was thinking of retuning my baritone to GCEA, to lessen the chord confusion, but I decided against it. I have enough GCEA ukes, and I like the low D.

Glad you are making it work! Low D is just too good.

That's interesting; I've only seen tenor guitars on youtube so don't know anything about them.
A tenor guitar is about the same size as a 6 string guitar, it just has 4 strings. A friend of mine played one in his band. A baritone uke, of course, is much smaller.

My tenor guitar is the same size as my “Baby Taylor” which is about a “3/4” size guitar. Quite a bit smaller than my other guitars…594BA9F6-728A-4499-A2A4-BD7874BFBC29.jpeg

I was thinking of retuning my baritone to GCEA, to lessen the chord confusion, but I decided against it. I have enough GCEA ukes, and I like the low D.
You could try tuning your baritone to GCEA, but an octave lower than your other ukes. That would put it in a range roughly midway between a bass uke and tenor uke -- close to the range of the middle four strings of a classical guitar (which would give you a string set to try out). If you like the low D, you may really respond favorably to this tuning since it is a 4th lower than DGBE.

You could try tuning your baritone to GCEA, but an octave lower than your other ukes. That would put it in a range roughly midway between a bass uke and tenor uke -- close to the range of the middle four strings of a classical guitar (which would give you a string set to try out). If you like the low D, you may really respond favorably to this tuning since it is a 4th lower than DGBE.
I’m keeping the baritone a baritone for now, but I’ll keep your post in mind. Thanks for your help.

BUT . . . if I did change the baritone to gCEA would it be in the same general pitch as a tenor or concert uke? Just wondering.

I’m keeping the baritone a baritone for now, but I’ll keep your post in mind. Thanks for your help.

BUT . . . if I did change the baritone to gCEA would it be in the same general pitch as a tenor or concert uke? Just wondering.
The g would be the same pitch as a low g on a tenor, but the C, E, and A would each be an octave lower than the corresponding notes (strings) on the tenor.

I've got sopranos, concerts, tenors and baritones. I first got a baritone because I thought the lower tones fitted my voice better.

Baritone ukulele's are harder to strum like a ukulele than smaller ukuleles (at least for me). This is mostly because the strings are farther apart. If they have a low D, they also don't sound as good strummed as smaller ukuleles. Even if yo put a high D on it, its still harder to strum. For all those reasons, I usually mostly finger-pick my baritones. My observation is that most YT videos I have watched of baritone ukulele players that I like are also mostly finger-picking.

If you have a baritone with a low D, you tend to want to play it like a guitar, using the lower string to create a simple bass line. Unfortunately, this doesn't work as well on a baritone as it does on a guitar.

Hey, thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it. I guess I’ll leave well enough alone; Chords aren’t my cup of tea anyway.

Thanks a lot, rigph, I dunno if I’m gonna change the strings though. I’ve had another change. I bought a book for Blues Ukulele, and I was gonna try a mini banjo with steel strings with it. However, I didn’t like the sound, then I tried the baritone, but it was too much trouble and confusion unless I changed it’s strings. So now I’m gonna try my Gold Tone Tenor Banjolele. The Aquila strings will be better for now, and I can already play it. It needs some playin’ time anyway. It’s tuned FBbDG, but, either way, that won’t hurt anything.

I’m gonna use the banjolele to learn what I need (blues with slide), and then maybe get a real blues instrument to play. Anyway, that’s the plan now. So, thanks again, and we’ll see what happens.

Top Bottom