Blessings in Disguise

UkesNBeards

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I’m new to UU and relatively new to the Ukulele! I started last year when I wanted to pick up an instrument so my daughter could grow up with some music in the house. There was an OLD tiny guitar at my mom’s house that I decided to fix up for myself, but then I found out my niece was taking guitar lessons but with no guitar of her own. So I did my best to fix it up and clean it before I gave it to her as a Christmas present. She was ecstatic and it felt good to give a gift that meant something to her. Well I was back in my pickle of, “what should I learn to play?” And then on Christmas my cousin surprised me with a KA-15S Kala soprano from Amazon! I was shocked and never had imagined I’d own a ukulele. I took it as a sign and decided to learn to play. Meanwhile, the government shutdown had just begun and my wife and daughter went to my in-laws because I was supposed to be traveling for work and we had already bought their tickets. So there I was, in a cold apartment with no work, no family around, just me and my new uke. My family was only gone a week but I spent so much time with the ukulele over the course of that month that it became a passion! I had never played an instrument before and learning great hits from “The Daily Ukulele” was so rewarding! My wife then surprised me with a KA-15T Kala Tenor, which I enjoy much more and have been playing since! Once my student debt is paid off, I plan on amassing an island of ukuleles (if that’s the group term for ukuleles haha)! But for now I’ll just keep strummin. I’m happy to join the community and look forward to improving my skills and learning more about this great instrument!

UkesNBeards

Welcome to the UU Forum, UkesNBeards! It's a good place to hang out. To have an island of ukuleles sounds like a wonderful goal. Some of the members here have multiple islands, so you've got your work cut out for you. :) Best of luck in catching up. It's bound to be a marvelous journey.

Jan D.

Welcome UkesNBeards. good to have you here. When my grand niece turned 3, I bought her a ukulele. Then when her brother turned 3, I bought him one. I hope they follow not only in my footsteps, but also their father, a very accomplished guitar player (who I influenced on guitar many years ago), and is now a score composer.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Hi UkesNBeards! I know how that passion feels. I'm still in the middle of it.

Welcome to UU. Fantastic story and I love your reasoning for having an instrument in the house!

Thank you! I can’t wait to teach my daughter the ukulele as well! So much fun!

Top Bottom