Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quiestions about repair of long neck soprano

In the original post, Henning stated that the intention was to carry out the repair "on a hobby level". Now, because a violin repairer has suggested removing the back, the discussion has moved on to this possibility.

I would consider that removing the back (or the front) goes well beyond the hobby level. It might seem easy, to violin repairers, but they are mostly working with instruments held together with glues made from animal carcasses. These are much easier to dismantle than are more modern types of glue.

I have taken the top off a modern, factory made ukulele - it was difficult and potentially destructive!

An effective and satisfactory repair can be done in the manner suggested in the first few replies.

John Colter.

John,
    What glue would you guess is being used on the factory ukulele backs?

I would think it would be a yellow aliphatic resin glue (Titebond equivalent). And John is absolutely correct, do not take the advice of violin repair people. Violins are put together with hot hide glue and are meant to be disassembled. Even then before you remove the top or back, the sides need to be stabilized in a mold to keep things from moving. If you were to remove the back, the sides will probably shift slightly and you will have fits trying to get everything back in alignment.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    I would think it would be a yellow aliphatic resin glue (Titebond equivalent). And John is absolutely correct, do not take the advice of violin repair people. Violins are put together with hot hide glue and are meant to be disassembled. Even then before you remove the top or back, the sides need to be stabilized in a mold to keep things from moving. If you were to remove the back, the sides will probably shift slightly and you will have fits trying to get everything back in alignment.
    Brad
    If so, it would present problematic issues, IMO. If the instrument is in tension in multiple vectors it will make it impossible to eliminate undesirable resonances all over the tonal range.

Thread Information