Season 409: Yuletide Celebration

Here's my take on a traditional English song of the season. I can't remember the last time we had carol singers (or wassailers as they used to be) at our door. Is it still a thing anywhere?

Cheers for hosting Geoff. A quickie from me before I head off to London for family pressie dropping ……….

Well, 2019 has been a bit fraught. Seems we've been saying that every year for a while now though. Hopefully we can start healing some divisions in 2020

A very short and (bitter)sweet one from me. I am not a believer. I don’t subscribe to any faith, but some of the music I love is religious. This is the sad and lovely Coventry Carol as an instrumental. Thanks for hosting Santa Geoff.

Now for something completely different from my previous "effort". And in my search for something completely different, I had the idea of choosing a French carol or Christmas song. However, I have been frustrated to find that such promising titles as "Vive le Vent d'Hiver" and "Mon Beau Sapin", are actually French versions of, respectively, "Jingle Bells" and "O Christmas Tree" and so on and so forth. After a lot of research, I found this carol, which IS actually French and possibly dates back to the 13th Century ... I thought you would approve, Geoff! This will definitely be my last contribution for the week as I am not even remotely "Christmas-ready". All best wishes to all the Seasonistas for the festive period!

Last edited:
Well, tonight might be my last night of my short career (so far) as a music teacher. The workshops at my English school just aren't drawing. I may be live-streaming a Xmas concert to an empty room in a couple hours....

Here's a different take on Good King Wenceslas...

Last edited:
It wouldn't be Christmas without yet another recording of this gem, by our very own Lesley Fowkes (aka Barefootgypsy aka SongAndDanceDaisy). I was telling Lesley last week how popular this is at our weekly pub uke session, and it means the world to her that her song is being enjoyed by so many people.

Here's my take on a traditional English song of the season. I can't remember the last time we had carol singers (or wassailers as they used to be) at our door. Is it still a thing anywhere?

Fun fact: "Wassail" comes from early English "waes hail" - "be hale" (as in "hale & hearty") - you can say almost exactly the same thing in Dutch "Wees hale". The response was "drink hail"! The original comes from Old Norse, so it's more common in the North of England than the south. Apparently, the Normans considered it a very 'English' thing to do. Cheers!! :)

Ahoy
I will be away from my uke until the 30th but I recorded one jóla song before I left home.
Here is a traditional Icelandic festive song, or jólalag, called "Jólasveinar ganga um gólf" or 'Yule lads walk around the floor'
Merry yule and have an excellent new year - gleðileg jól og farsælt komandi ár.

I was going to perform this song last year but didn't finish it on time to share with the Seasons.
So here it is, Joe Newberry cover of his song he wrote "On this Christmas Day."

First of all, Happy Birthday Geoff!

Here is my take on the famous Nat King Cole hit 'The Christmas Song'. I am playing it a bit faster than is usual, hope you like it. Playing my electric Pono TE-C. All the best and a Merry Christmas to You All! Better roast some chestnuts on an open fire :)

The first Christmas-themed episode of the Cowtrails podcast came out this week. I've listened to only the first hour of it so far and already found two songs I want to try. Here's the first one. I hope to get the second done tomorrow.

happy birthday geoff!

here's a collab from me and del for the season, a new version of our yazuke christmas song from last year

featuring rudolph the dancing reindeer, back by popular demand!

Top Bottom