Another new senior

maccabee6

Reaction score
I picked up the ukulele at the urging of a friend about ten years ago. I had visions of playing it like I would an electric guitar. I even bought a couple of amps and all my ukes can be plugged in. I'm in a ukulele group composed mostly of retirees. They aren't interested in Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, and very little of the blues. I wish I could say I've mastered all the above, but since we mostly strum in the group, I haven't learned very many cool licks. I am trying to learn chord melody so that I don't get bored. It's difficult. I don't have any wonderful insights to share. I just love my ukuleles.

Welcome maccabee6. You're all set to to be a member here. (Many years ago my twin brother was a member of the Maccabbee volleyball team.)

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Welcome to UU from England

Welcome maccabee6! I think you'll find folks here on UU that also want to rock out on their ukes. Enjoythe forum.

They aren't interested in Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, and very little of the blues.

That's what I want to play, but instead I have to suffer through "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" ad nauseum.

You and I should start our own group!

Welcome.

I too want to rock on with my ukes so bought a Risa solid bodied Stratocaster wannabee which looks and sounds amazing when plugged into my effects pedalboard.

Welcome! Look at James Hill's The Ukulele Site to learn Chord Melody. Check out Stu Fuch's Youtube/Patreon for riffs for almost every song he does.

I've been away from my computer for the holidays. Thanks for the suggestion of James Hill. I purchased his chord melody songbook a couple of years ago. I can't say I'm proficient, but I enjoy his approach. It is more complicated than some other books I've purchased. And I like Stu Fuch's riffs. I also like to develop my own.

I've been away from my computer for the holidays. I noticed you have a Risa. I'm lusting after one. What kind of pedalboard do you have?

I've been away from my computer for the holidays, but I liked your post. I haven't come across very many ukulele players who like to rock out. I hook up to my amp and let go when my spouse is out of the house. Otherwise, I play chord melody for something challenging and go along with camp songs and 50's rock with the group. If I didn't like the people I play with, I go it completely on my own. I sure with I had someone like you in my town.

Welcome, and rock on!
I picked up the ukulele at the urging of a friend about ten years ago. I had visions of playing it like I would an electric guitar. I even bought a couple of amps and all my ukes can be plugged in. I'm in a ukulele group composed mostly of retirees. They aren't interested in Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, and very little of the blues. I wish I could say I've mastered all the above, but since we mostly strum in the group, I haven't learned very many cool licks. I am trying to learn chord melody so that I don't get bored. It's difficult. I don't have any wonderful insights to share. I just love my ukuleles.

Hi maccabee6,
first, welcome. I'm new here myself but have found the forums invaluable as a resource to improve. Like you, I imagined myself as an ''un-reconstructed'' rocker but enjoy playing with a couple of groups. We don't all like the same music (The Lion Sleeps Tonight being my personal horror song) but it is way more fun playing with others rather than practicing alone all the time. Eventually I got together with another couple of like minded chaps and we now have a trio that plays what we want, when we want, except that not everyone wants to listen to it. So when we play at events, we still have to modify our set list to suit. My favourite uke is an acoustic/electric tenor. I apologise to everyone on here, but I do tend to play it more like a guitar than a uke. In compensation to the uke crowd I now play a baritone at a guitar group, tuned DGBE, and saving for a solid body electric. It's sooo nice to have something to look forward to.

Hi maccabee6,
first, welcome. I'm new here myself but have found the forums invaluable as a resource to improve. Like you, I imagined myself as an ''un-reconstructed'' rocker but enjoy playing with a couple of groups. We don't all like the same music (The Lion Sleeps Tonight being my personal horror song) but it is way more fun playing with others rather than practicing alone all the time. Eventually I got together with another couple of like minded chaps and we now have a trio that plays what we want, when we want, except that not everyone wants to listen to it. So when we play at events, we still have to modify our set list to suit. My favourite uke is an acoustic/electric tenor. I apologise to everyone on here, but I do tend to play it more like a guitar than a uke. In compensation to the uke crowd I now play a baritone at a guitar group, tuned DGBE, and saving for a solid body electric. It's sooo nice to have something to look forward to.

Hooray! I'm not alone!

There must be some kind of inverse correlation between the enjoyment of rock, and the Lion song.

But I do agree that it is more fun playing with others than by myself.

Question for my fellow rockers:

Is a baritone uke more amenable to playing rock than a uke with standard tuning? I ask because in fiddling around a little trying to pick guitar solos out by ear I seem to run out of notes on both the high end and the low end.

Keep in mind that I have not been at this very long ......

Question for my fellow rockers:

Is a baritone uke more amenable to playing rock than a uke with standard tuning? I ask because in fiddling around a little trying to pick guitar solos out by ear I seem to run out of notes on both the high end and the low end.

Keep in mind that I have not been at this very long ......

I used to use a baritone, tuned to C/low-G/GCEA/linear and it was great for picking. The sound was too guitar-like, so I found a Super-Tenor from Kala that sounds much more like a ukulele. It's tuned low-G as well and it's great for picking beatles tunes. I have a beat-up Tenor as well, tuned to low-G, works fairly well for picking rock tunes, not nearly as good as the Super-Tenor though.
The only thing I'd change is either a scalloped cutout, or a cut-away on a Super-Tenor, that would be perfect.
on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr..._osacat=16224&_odkw=Super+Tenor+Ukulele&rt=nc

Last edited:
Top Bottom