Taylor mahogany unicorn ukulele

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Not sure how many follow UU+ podcasts, there have been some discussions around the Taylor reserve mahogany tenor that was a limited edition model with just 50 made. It did have issues with the finish developing slight bumps. That said, the ukulele sounds amazing.

Wondering how many uke players own one? I am guessing it is overall ignored as it was paired with a guitar which meant, most likely guitar players bought it and did not care as much about the ukulele..

I own one. Was able to separate the sale of the uke from the guitar and that made it an easy decision for me as I already owned two Taylor guitars. All of the Taylor instruments I have are outstanding in my opinion.

I own one. Was able to separate the sale of the uke from the guitar and that made it an easy decision for me as I already owned two Taylor guitars. All of the Taylor instruments I have are outstanding in my opinion.
Which strings are your favorite?

Almost bought one of those Mahogany Taylor tenors. But it had lots bumps (filler pimples) all over it, including the neck. Heard it was a filler material problem. The Koa tenors Taylor made didn’t seem to have that problem.

It sound good, but not better than a Kanile’a tenor, IMHO. The shape of headstock and bridge looked very similar to a Kanile’a, too.

I have heard Taylor say the reason they don’t add ukuleles to the lineup permanently is because they don’t feel they have much to bring to the table compared to the stuff that is already out there and if you want a nice ukulele then buy a kanilea! It was mentioned that if they felt they could do it better then they might but they are not actively perusing that. I admire Taylor’s respect for such a company. I also like to see two companies like this work together to help one another out. Two companies I admire very much for what they are doing. I don’t currently own either but it’s hard to deny that they are both masters of the trade.

Last edited:
I have heard Taylor say the reason they don’t add ukuleles to the lineup permanently is because they don’t feel they have much to bring to the table compared to the stuff that is already out there and if you want a nice ukulele then buy a kanilea! It was mentioned that if they felt they could do it better then they might but they are not actively perusing that. I admire Taylor’s respect for such a company. I also like to see two companies like this work together to help one another out. Two companies I admire very much for what they are doing. I don’t currently own either but it’s hard to deny that they are both masters of the trade.

I also remember reading somewhere that Bob Taylor sells a lot of wood, including koa, to uke manufacturers, maybe even Kanilea? Given that, starting a new line of ukes would probably not be good for those relationships. I like his attitude, acknowledging that if you can't make better ukes than the best already out there, it's better to keep your focus on guitars.

Almost bought one of those Mahogany Taylor tenors. But it had lots bumps (filler pimples) all over it, including the neck. Heard it was a filler material problem. The Koa tenors Taylor made didn’t seem to have that problem.

It sound good, but not better than a Kanile’a tenor, IMHO. The shape of headstock and bridge looked very similar to a Kanile’a, too.

I had a 12 string 12 fret all mahogany Taylor 562ce guitar... drop dead gorgeous, wonderful sound...and it was the easiest playing 12 string I’ve ever tried. But it, too, had scores of tiny finish flaws like the filler pimples you mentioned. You couldn’t see them unless you held the guitar just so, but they were there.

I hope to get a sound sample done with Taylor, MBU, Pepe Custom, Pegasus and Kanilea Pineapple before the year ends. All amazing ukes. Though one has to play them to know what one thinks..

Top Bottom