Songs you hate to play.

Eidelweiss, when my group plays it I almost fall asleep. Don't mean to offend anyone but I find this song just awful. Different strokes etc.

It is hard to introduce something that isn't just main stream wore out at the strum-a-longs. We get tied down to the tried and true. I don't mind that. Strum-a-long is as much a social event as it is a music thing. I'll play anything, whether I like the song or not. But we are pretty much a yellow book/ blue book group. Everyone knows those songs. Thanks Uncle Rod, but I don't think it is the simplicity of the chords that puts me off. It isn't rational and I'm not the kind who looks for the good hidden in every song. I'm okay with not liking it. There are just some songs we suffer through. We all have them, hence the thread.

Last edited:
I feel like I am the only person in the world who can't stand "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue". I don't understand why it seems to be so tied to the ukulele and always played when groups get together. I'm sure I will get blasted for this but I think it is a terrible song.

Most 'uke' songs! :smileybounce:

Why do you all play & sing all those old uke tunes, mostly from the 20s, 30s, & 40s? :eek:ld:

I know, I know, that may sound a bit controversial, but they certainly put me off ever wanting to join a 'uke group'. :p

It is hard to introduce something that isn't just main stream wore out at the strum-a-longs. We get tied down to the tried and true. I don't mind that. Strum-a-long is as much a social event as it is a music thing. I'll play anything, whether I like the song or not. But we are pretty much a yellow book/ blue book group. Everyone knows those songs. Thanks Uncle Rod, but I don't think it is the simplicity of the chords that puts me off. It isn't rational and I'm not the kind who looks for the good hidden in every song. I'm okay with not liking it. There are just some songs we suffer through. We all have them, hence the thread.

Good attitude. I can put a damper on a group when people moan as a song title is announced

2 of my 3 groups pick a theme each month. Depending on the theme, you’ll get a mix of things that are familiar and some things that are new. The last group does the “around the circle” thing. This usually gets 60% yellow book and 40% current/popular/new stuff.

I can’t think of a song I loathe. I just hate when I get music for church with the dreaded Capo word at the top. Those darn guitar players. ��

Most 'uke' songs! :smileybounce:

Why do you all play & sing all those old uke tunes, mostly from the 20s, 30s, & 40s? :eek:ld:

I know, I know, that may sound a bit controversial, but they certainly put me off ever wanting to join a 'uke group'. :p

Reminders of when uke was last really popular? Since they've had a resurgence maybe some of the song list should be updated.
Maybe it's people not wanting to have to transcribe new ones? Lack of agreement on songs? They were easy?
I think we all learned on them because it's what we had, and it stuck.
Agree that they're stale. The only people who know them first hand are the 90 year olds in my care home.
I don't play with a group either, though I really should to learn strumming patterns better. I usually just play at home trying to figure out picking patterns on country ballads

We have a beautiful closing song that we play every week. Due to repetition, it has lost its charm (to me) and no longer evokes the original sentiment.

My personal non-favorite is Tammy. I don’t care if she’s in love. :)

I agree with every song noted so far and I pretty much agree with Croaky Keith saying most "uke" songs. I have the yellow book but I never play from it anymore. I think I may have played from it once or twice last year but even then it was only because it was handy and I was too lazy to walk into the next room and get my song book. I bet I like or would want to play less than 25% of what's in that book. I feel 0% compelled to play what would generally be known as uke songs just because I play the uke. The uke is my way of making music and accompanying myself so I play what I like which, for the most part, isn't typical uke music.

I'll add another that hasn't been mentioned yet. "You Are My Sunshine".

For me, it has to be "Sloop John B". Never liked it. Unfortunately it gets picked nearly every weekly jam...week after week, year after year. I try it take my "ears off it" by working on a strum or different chord positions. Since I usually kick off the song, I set a brisk pace, to get it over with quicker ��

There aren't a lot I won't play, but there are a lot I won't sing.

And then there's "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".

No. Uh, uh. Sorry. It is one of the most insipid, asinine songs known to mankind. I'll do "Honey", before I do that crappy thing. (Of course, when I said as much, and got up and went to the rest room instead, you'd have thought I just burned down an orphanage. C'mon, people! They weren't all orphans!)

Neither will I remain in the room if anything from the Led Zeppelin/ Robert Plant catalogs come out.

I just play by and for myself, so if I hate something, I don't play it.
I also find that sometimes I really like playing something, but there is a section that I don't like, so I modify it, so I don't need to play a section I don't like, but it still makes musical sense.

It's all for fun, so if it's not fun, I don't see any need to do it.
Other aspects of life provide enough of "must do even if you hate it" experiences.

I'm surprised no one has said Tip Toe Through the Tulips. As far as myself, I like the song, but I know that there are plenty of ukulele players who can't get past Tiny Tim's rendition.

I Like most of the songs that are mentioned here!
I love Tiptoe, our ensemble has resurrected it, singing in falsetto is verboten. People stop and listen when we do it!
We love Ukulele Lady, it was our theme song for a while.
I do not like Silent Night, or Drop Baby Drop. DBD is the stupidest thing ever. I tabbed out the solo parts for it, they're ridiculous! It took me hours just to learn the intro.
My groups, UKers For Life, and the Ladies of Uke sometimes do songs I don't care for, but I have to remember, it's not just about me. It's about my partners and our audiences.
I'm not crazy about Christmas songs, but yesterday we played in a dementia unit, and today in Shriners hospital. 2 totally different experiences, both gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Those children.....OMG.

By far the one I despise the most is Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I remember being in the car with my wife the first time I heard it and my first response was profane. My wife asked why and I told her because now I'll have to play the song that way. That very moment I vowed to sing the right words and never sing Iz's lyrics which are basically illiterate and makes Hawaiians sound stupid.

I'm from O'ahu and hated the way it made us look like we couldn't put together a coherent sentence!

I still play it (I lowered it to G) and still keep the bubblegum reggae beat, but only sing the real lyrics! I do What a Wonderful World the same way - the original lyrics, not the messed up mess of words that Iz sang.

Glad to get that of my chest!

Aldon

Far too many to list! But depending on circumstances and audience, I will join in with the rest of our group and grit my teeth and play along!

Top Bottom