Songs you hate to play.

May I make a suggestion?

RE: Jambalaya

try playing 2nd and 3rd position fingerings for those 2 chords.

If you play in the Key of C, try C = C6 (0453) or C (5433 or 0433) and G7 = G7 (4535)

Use it as a practice session.

keep uke'in',

Totally this!
Turn any monotonous unbearable slog through a song into a skills challenge!

By far the one I despise the most is Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I remember being in the car with my wife the first time I heard it and my first response was profane. My wife asked why and I told her because now I'll have to play the song that way. That very moment I vowed to sing the right words and never sing Iz's lyrics which are basically illiterate and makes Hawaiians sound stupid.

I'm from O'ahu and hated the way it made us look like we couldn't put together a coherent sentence!

I still play it (I lowered it to G) and still keep the bubblegum reggae beat, but only sing the real lyrics! I do What a Wonderful World the same way - the original lyrics, not the messed up mess of words that Iz sang.

Glad to get that of my chest!

Aldon

I was *just* going to post almost the exact same thing!
As an ukulele performer on Oahu, I also get ASKED to play this song A LOT and quietly shake it off and play another Iz song or just another Hawaiian song (I usually play traditional Hawaiian music). If asked to play it I will usually play Henehene Kou Aka, White Sandy Beach, or Ka Huila Wai instead :D

I used to belong to a group that insisted on plying it at every ho`olaulea gig and I would just suck it up, but now that I choose my own songs I am free to play what I want.

I Hate Dance The Night Away by The Mavericks. 2 chords and the same strumming pattern wight until the end. Not keen on Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen too.

We have a clever person in our group who can write parodies for songs. She turned "An Okie from Muskogee" into "A Uker from the Catskills" - and other songs, as well.

I will NOT sing Amazing Grace, no matter who requests it. I will play the chord melody of it instead.
Stacey, I didn't like Stand By Me either, until I learned to pick an intro, it's pretty cool.
I don't sing Poor Pitiful Me either. I bet L. Ronstadt made millions off that pitiful song.

Hmm, I guess I haven't been playing long enough to get so tired of a song that I refuse to play it.

Believe it or not, Jambalaya hasn't been played in the two years I've belonged to my uke club. In fact, I was going to play it at an open mike night. Now, I'm afraid it become a staple...

One song I detest is Adele's "To Make You Feel My Love". Not because the tune is bad, but because of the message the song conveys:
I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue.
I'd go crawling down the avenue.
No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do,
To make you feel my love.

I just think that is abominable. What an image for young women.

Right up there with: "Run for Your Life" by the Beatles.

There a ton of songs that are so misogynistic they make me cringe when I hear them.
Or songs about young girls being lusted after by older men. They didn't bother me when I was young, but now they seem rather repulsive.

Ready to be pummeled...

One song I detest is Adele's "To Make You Feel My Love".

You know the song was written by Bob Dylan right? It are his words, Adele just covered it with the original lyrics as far as I can tell.
Of course her version is much more bearable to listen to then Bob's ;) (I can only listen to the Records that Daniel Lanois produced for Bob, Daniel is a genius in making somebody sound good).

I will NOT sing Amazing Grace, no matter who requests it. I will play the chord melody of it instead.
Stacey, I didn't like Stand By Me either, until I learned to pick an intro, it's pretty cool.
I don't sing Poor Pitiful Me either. I bet L. Ronstadt made millions off that pitiful song.

Actually, Warren Zevon wrote Poor, Poor Pitiful Me. His version is much darker, with different lyrics. Ronstsdt made a lot of royalties for him, so I begrudge nothing. Plus, I think the song’s cool. Different strokes.

This thread demonstrates folks have different musical tastes and dislike how some musicians interpret certain songs. OK ... :wallbash:

Actually, Warren Zevon wrote Poor, Poor Pitiful Me. His version is much darker, with different lyrics. Ronstsdt made a lot of royalties for him, so I begrudge nothing. Plus, I think the song’s cool. Different strokes.

Actually, I was making fun of the song....Linda did an amazing job with it. I never knew who wrote it. Thanks for letting me know.
I always make fun of codependent love songs people write about pining for love lost.
I heard a story a while back and again today that Arlo Guthrie told about a song he disliked, called it a "dingleberry song". He gradually came to like it, then did it in his shows. We learned, we perform it, and lovingly call it the "dingleberry song".
Now, for example, someone mentioned Hallelujah. At first, I didn't think I cared for it. Then I heard Amanda Boisen sing it, and I fell in love with it. Then I listened to the original version again, over and over, and now, I really rather like it. I think our trio will wind up preforming it someday.
Stuff grows on ya....sometimes.

"Bad Moon Rising" - I pass.

John Colter

WHAAAAAAT????!!!! Wow, we have some tough love being dispensed today both for Iz and for Creedence! Hahahahaha! Only kidding. I like to read frank opinions respectfully set forth, and yes, it's amazing how one person's favorite can be another person's "yuck". Not to go off on a tangent, but a somewhat little-known fact about "Bad Moon Rising", and also "Proud Mary", is that John Fogerty tuned his guitar down a full step on those songs, and played them as if in the key of E, but because he was tuned down a full step, they "sounded" in the ("universal") key of D. That would explain why, as a highschooler without benefit of the internet, I always felt like something wasn't quite "there" when I worked those two songs out, assuming (from listening to the record) that they were in D. Glad I found that out before my life's book closes (not that I'm expecting it to close anytime soon, but one never knows!) Okay, enough hijacking...

I love everything the CCR band recorded. My fave is Down On The Corner. We have two vigorous strum patterns for it, and even some cowbell.
Sorry to turn things around to the positive....

I love everything the CCR band recorded. My fave is Down On The Corner. We have two vigorous strum patterns for it, and even some cowbell.
Sorry to turn things around to the positive....

Hahahahahaha Nickie! Positive is good! (But you realize, do you not, what kind of responses are likely to appear by virtue of your having mentioned the word "cowbell"...?) ;) Mr. Hanks will probably be the first...

Last edited:
You know the song was written by Bob Dylan right? It are his words, Adele just covered it with the original lyrics as far as I can tell.
Of course her version is much more bearable to listen to then Bob's ;) (I can only listen to the Records that Daniel Lanois produced for Bob, Daniel is a genius in making somebody sound good).

Xommen,

Y'know, I had completely forgotten that Dylan had written it until you mentioned it. Adele really owned the song and I guess I forgot that she covered it. Still bothers me that it was a huge hit for her. And millions of girls think it's wonderful. I mentioned that I didn't like the lyrics at one of our uke meetings and one of the younger ladies said, "But it's Adele!"

Can't say that it's much better about a groveling guy...

Just a quick story about "Bad Moon Rising." We play it often in one of my groups. The song was forever changed in my mind when our leader told us that as a kid, she always thought the line ......."there's a bad moon on the rise" was "there's a bathroom on the right." Now I can't get that silly line out of my head. I can't play it straight up anymore.

I actually hate playing anything. Full-stop. As far as I'm concerned, when I want to hear someone's music, I buy the CD. When I pick up the ukulele, it is to make my own music. Granted my music sucks--it is just scales and progressions and stuff like that, but at least it is mine. I have only learnt two songs. One is that Leonard Cohen song "Everybody knows" and the other is the first 1:20 of the Scorpions tune "Sails of Charon." The remainder of the last five years or so has been me being me.

Do you folks make your own music?

Top Bottom