Songs you hate to play.

Rllink

Reaction score
Any song that you just hate to do but you end up playing and singing it all the time anyway? I hate Jambalaya. Every group I belong to has to play Jambalaya. Every week, if it isn't on the list for the meet up, someone is going to want to sing it during the go around. There are a couple others but that's the worst for me. Anyway, I play it. What are you going to do? It's a two chord song and I've played it so many times that I can sing it off the top of my head. I was playing a winter festival a couple of weeks ago and I got a request for Jambalaya twice.

Next time "Jambalaya" comes up in the rotation, just excuse yourself and run to the restroom; you could say, "Me gotta go..." :rolleyes:

My list is too numerous to mention. But the question reminds me of a cartoon I once saw in a music magazine (I forget which one). It showed a pianist playing in a saloon-type place, and he has a sign that reads “requests $5. ‘When the saints go marching in’ $5,000.”

Next time "Jambalaya" comes up in the rotation, just excuse yourself and run to the restroom; you could say, "Me gotta go..." :rolleyes:

I've never refused to play a song someone in a group requested, but I never make a request myself for fear of having it turned down. We went around the table last week suggesting songs, and I reluctantly suggested one: Country Roads. "Oh, no! Not that one!" So, I'm going back to my "no suggestions" rule.

I've never refused to play a song someone in a group requested, but I never make a request myself for fear of having it turned down. We went around the table last week suggesting songs, and I reluctantly suggested one: Country Roads. "Oh, no! Not that one!" So, I'm going back to my "no suggestions" rule.

Me too. I play Jambalaya whenever it comes up. Just without enthusiasm.

I like playing Jambalaya! :D. Still, there’s always some that our uke group does that I don’t like much...I Love To Boogie for example, or one we play this time of year Grandma Got Run over By A Reindeer. Not my cup of tea at all, but I grin and bear it knowing it’s only a few minutes of pain then we’ll be on to something I do like. :)

Baby Shark....

May I make a suggestion?

RE: Jambalaya

try playing 2nd and 3rd position fingerings for those 2 chords.

If you play in the Key of C, try C = C6 (0453) or C (5433 or 0433) and G7 = G7 (4535)

Use it as a practice session.

keep uke'in',

Our band play care homes. I loathe, Delilah, Teenager in Love but the old folks love them and that audience are always right.

Just thought you might enjoy this version as a mashup if you haven't heard it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk

I can't stand the endless Beatles numbers.

I like to eat Jambalaya :)

When you're picking jam songs it's hard to hit the narrow sweet spot between "this song is so obscure that nobody knows it" and "good grief, this again!?" I was chatting with a friend over Thanksgiving who complained about jams where they play "Wagon Wheel" two or three times a night (once he could deal with). And then sure enough, last week I was at a jam where we played it and somebody asked "what is this song, I've never heard it before?" Human experience is diverse and fascinating; one of the many interesting results of this is we all have to play "Jambalaya" again. :rotfl:

My own personal burden is friends who are otherwise lovely people, but somehow they are not sick to death of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." How is this even possible?

Mine is Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Probably because I am in groups that play the original version, and an Easter and Christmas version with changed lyrics.

Mine is Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Probably because I am in groups that play the original version, and an Easter and Christmas version with changed lyrics.

Sister! I gather the Easter/Christmas version does not involve getting tied to a kitchen chair? Heeheehee...

I like to eat Jambalaya :)

When you're picking jam songs it's hard to hit the narrow sweet spot between "this song is so obscure that nobody knows it" and "good grief, this again!?" I was chatting with a friend over Thanksgiving who complained about jams where they play "Wagon Wheel" two or three times a night (once he could deal with). And then sure enough, last week I was at a jam where we played it and somebody asked "what is this song, I've never heard it before?" Human experience is diverse and fascinating; one of the many interesting results of this is we all have to play "Jambalaya" again. :rotfl:

My own personal burden is friends who are otherwise lovely people, but somehow they are not sick to death of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." How is this even possible?

I don't mind playing songs we've played before. What I don't like is playing a (difficult) song, discussing it, playing it again, and maybe repeating the process. Then we never play the song again.

In lots of song circles folks might play along and sing but they’re really thinking about what they’ll play when it’s their turn so don’t notice that much what’s already been played. I do what Uncle Rod suggested - play in other positions and consider it practice. I’m really getting good at alternative positions.

Most songs aren’t that appealing the 4th time in a circle. (especially if it’s not a favorite the 1st time).

My list is too numerous to mention. But the question reminds me of a cartoon I once saw in a music magazine (I forget which one). It showed a pianist playing in a saloon-type place, and he has a sign that reads “requests $5. ‘When the saints go marching in’ $5,000.”

This sign is on the stage in Preservation Hall in New Orleans:
preshallrequests.jpg

Top Bottom