Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs you hate to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Next time "Jambalaya" comes up in the rotation, just excuse yourself and run to the restroom; you could say, "Me gotta go..."
    That's funny! It would give a whole new meaning for having to pole a pirogue down the bayou.....
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

There aren't a lot I won't play, but there are a lot I won't sing.

And then there's "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".

No. Uh, uh. Sorry. It is one of the most insipid, asinine songs known to mankind. I'll do "Honey", before I do that crappy thing. (Of course, when I said as much, and got up and went to the rest room instead, you'd have thought I just burned down an orphanage. C'mon, people! They weren't all orphans!)

Neither will I remain in the room if anything from the Led Zeppelin/ Robert Plant catalogs come out.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

I guess that's where they got (stole) the cartoon from. Thanks!
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned F-Bb-D-G w/Worth Browns)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned D-G-B-E w/Martin 22 Baritone strings)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (tuned A-D-F#-B w/Savarez classical guitar strings)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    That's funny! It would give a whole new meaning for having to pole a pirogue down the bayou.....
    Hahahahaha! That's for sure!

I just play by and for myself, so if I hate something, I don't play it.
    I also find that sometimes I really like playing something, but there is a section that I don't like, so I modify it, so I don't need to play a section I don't like, but it still makes musical sense.

It's all for fun, so if it's not fun, I don't see any need to do it.
    Other aspects of life provide enough of "must do even if you hate it" experiences.

I'm surprised no one has said Tip Toe Through the Tulips. As far as myself, I like the song, but I know that there are plenty of ukulele players who can't get past Tiny Tim's rendition.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I Like most of the songs that are mentioned here!
    I love Tiptoe, our ensemble has resurrected it, singing in falsetto is verboten. People stop and listen when we do it!
    We love Ukulele Lady, it was our theme song for a while.
    I do not like Silent Night, or Drop Baby Drop. DBD is the stupidest thing ever. I tabbed out the solo parts for it, they're ridiculous! It took me hours just to learn the intro.
    My groups, UKers For Life, and the Ladies of Uke sometimes do songs I don't care for, but I have to remember, it's not just about me. It's about my partners and our audiences.
    I'm not crazy about Christmas songs, but yesterday we played in a dementia unit, and today in Shriners hospital. 2 totally different experiences, both gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Those children.....OMG.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

By far the one I despise the most is Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I remember being in the car with my wife the first time I heard it and my first response was profane. My wife asked why and I told her because now I'll have to play the song that way. That very moment I vowed to sing the right words and never sing Iz's lyrics which are basically illiterate and makes Hawaiians sound stupid.

I'm from O'ahu and hated the way it made us look like we couldn't put together a coherent sentence!

I still play it (I lowered it to G) and still keep the bubblegum reggae beat, but only sing the real lyrics! I do What a Wonderful World the same way - the original lyrics, not the messed up mess of words that Iz sang.

Glad to get that of my chest!

Aldon
    My CD! Click here to listen!

I'm shocked, no one listed the complete 12 days of Christmas

Far too many to list! But depending on circumstances and audience, I will join in with the rest of our group and grit my teeth and play along!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Thread Information