New Pineapple Sunday Prototype from Alvin Okami in time for Christmas

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Price drop for UUMarketplace to $2000.00

D95DC068-FBFB-4881-A5C1-FD8D71E68760_1_201_a.jpg2DC05EBD-1A1A-4A17-ACEE-70B4033C890F_1_201_a.jpgC253157C-2D16-4141-BD0E-067E5BF16737_1_201_a.jpg44E28BBD-DFCF-4094-A72E-55A7FB2B401D_1_201_a.jpg

See the Album here for more, and larger pics
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmK5Horv

I posted about this new ukulele series from Alvin "Pops" Okami last week in UKE TALK. I shared the comments from that thread with Pops and he was so happy to read them. He asked me to make one of these available now so that if anyone wanted one by Christmas, they could get it. When these are released in January, they will have an MSRP of $3000. The hard case will sell for $100 additional. Plus shipping. Pops was thrilled with the comments on the post in Uke Talk and so wanted to get some of these prototypes out by Christmas, and recognizing the short time, he has asked that I put this orange hibiscus up for sale on the UU Marketplace at Price drop for UUMarketplace to $2000.00 which includes the "One of a Pine collector's Uke", the KoAloha Hard Case, and Free Shipping CONUS.

This is a prototype that is brand new. As a Prototype, Pops wanted to make sure that even though painted, it carried the same sound that his Pineapple Sundays are known for. I have come to learn that Pops will never release a ukulele unless he is completely happy with the tone. Here is what he wrote to me after shipping the ukulele to me:

"The paint that Moses uses is acrylic based and it does not affect the sound at all. In fact, when you receive the ukulele, please play it and you will see that what I have just said is absolutely true. Even with coats of our varnish, the sound remains crystal clear, loud, beautiful and sustains for a while without diminishing rapidly as most ukuleles do. I believe that you're going to love it!"

Here are the details about the ukulele.

1. The basic design is derived from Pops original Pineapple Sunday that was introduced about 15 years ago. This original design came with a fully debossed grid that mimicked the natural grid on a real pineapple. It became the most popular design and orders became too much for Pops alone to accommodate so the decision was made to retire production indefinitely. The new approach utilizing the same body shape of the original but having an incredibly gifted artist paint the face with artwork was a unique approach to re-introduce the Pineapple Sunday with a totally new look. This new concept PIneapple Sunday is being showcased individually as Pops and his artist, Moses Cao, collaborates to create masterpieces of art fused with a masterpiece ukulele called Pops, One of A Kind PIne". A befitting phrase that would capture the essence of this collaborative work is "A Masterpiece of Musart"

2. Beneath the painted face lies the best tonewood in the world. Namely, Engelman Spruce. The sides are select koa wood The back is also select koa wood with an emphasis on beautifully figured grain that stands out all by itself.

3. The neck is sapele mahogany and helps to produce added volume for the instrument.

4. The fretboard is ebony with fret markers that have replaced paua abalone dots. The markers are now called "fret bands". The fret band wood is zebra wood and adds a tasteful, classy, elegant and original approach to the standard pearl/abalone dots found on the majority of ukulele fretboards.

5. The bridge is ebony with zebra wood ornamentation that echoes the zebra wood fret bands on the fretboard.

6. The headstock has been modified from the KoAloha Crown profile to represent the leaves of the pineapple. The KoAloha logo has also been abandoned in favor of a colored miniature pineapple affixed on the center of the headstock.

7. The tuners are Grover (Black Nickel) Geared tuners.

Last edited:
Ed, The art work is lovely. Kudos to Moses Cao for the paintings. Just the right amount of detail coupled with terrific design sense.

Really good looking instrument. Someone will be right chuffed to own this one-of-a-kind instrument. (I think I'm using that UK slang correctly. :rolleyes:)

Sorely tempted, but wrong scale. Plus, I just bought a ukulele. Way over my limit for the year.

Good luck with the sale. Alvin "Pops" Okami has every right to be pleased with these.

Thanks for the compliments, Kenn. I will pass them on to Pops. He loves feedback. I own two, personal, Pineapple Sundays. Comparatively, this one plays exceptionally well. It is loud and clear with great sustain. The ebony fretboard makes it really fast and comfortable, and the look is outstanding. The artwork is so much better in person. Even though I knew in advance what Pops was sending me from the photos that he took, when I opened the box and then the case, it literally stopped me in my tracks. As soon as you open the case, you know that this is different. A lot of us have had plenty of NUD successes, but this one will always be remembered by me. It was simply stunning. I played it for about 5 minutes to hear it and get a feel for it, but then put it right back in the case so that there are no fingerprints or anything on it because this is going to be something special for someone. Pops also threw in the case so that when I ship it, the uke will be totally protected.
Ed, The artwork is lovely. Kudos to Moses Cao for the paintings. Just the right amount of detail coupled with terrific design sense.

Really good looking instrument. Someone will be right chuffed to own this one-of-a-kind instrument. (I think I'm using that UK slang correctly. :rolleyes:)

Sorely tempted, but wrong scale. Plus, I just bought a ukulele. Way over my limit for the year.

Good luck with the sale. Alvin "Pops" Okami has every right to be pleased with these.

Last edited:
Wow! Surprised this has not been snapped up. As a collector's item alone it makes it highly desirable. And the sound is terrific.

Wish I could. But concerts and I don't get along. And I'm on hiatus for buying.

Good luck. Pops made another winner.

New Sundae Prototype

Wow! Surprised this has not been snapped up. As a collector's item alone it makes it highly desirable. And the sound is terrific.

I too am a little surprised, Ken, for so many reasons. This cost is $200 less than the regular Pineapple Sundays and with this hibiscus painted Pineapple Sunday, you get a "one of a Kind" from Alvin Okami, and a new KoAloha hard case. The hand-painted top by Moses Cao will never be duplicated, as opposed to other ukes which may be screen printed. Plus you get the full "Better than Weather Warranty." I have learned that Pops is an extremely motivated person-- some may call him a "workaholic" but maybe "motivated" is the better term. At age 76, Alvin realizes that his time to explore, create, and design/redesign is NOW. Nobody knows how much more can be fit into the productive time that he has remaining, but one thing is for sure, I don't think we will see this particular ukulele sell for only $2000 again. In this 25th Anniversary of KoAloha, I believe this to be a collector's item for certain. I will be honest, there is a part of me that says that I should purchase this for myself, but Pops specifically asked me to make it available at a price that would allow someone, not only to get a great uke at a very good price, but also to allow people to know that these "One of a Kind, One of a Pine" are available. If I purchased it from Pops, I for sure would get a fabulous collector's item, but then nobody would know that these "Masterpieces of Musart" exist for sale. I believe there are only 5 unique hand-painted Pineapple Sundays available, and each one different from the other. This is a seriously limited edition.

Last edited:
Really is a great opportunity. It's just that "only" and "$2000" aren't allowed in the same sentence for the vast majority of players. Still, as many people bid five times that at an MB auction, you'd think there would be more interest here.

It's just that "only" and "$2000" aren't allowed in the same sentence for the vast majority of players.

He didn’t say it was ONLY $2000 like you surmised/replied out of context to...

He said you wouldn’t see this upper echelon model of the Pineapple Sunday sell for $2000 brand new ever again and that even an original PS cost more to order today - that’s all true. Ask Pops if you want, he’s legit trying to hook someone up with an intro price because he generally has appreciation to us players and members of UU (a discount of $400 from reverb). This will sell it’s not a matter of if, but when. Excited for its future owner \m/

He didn’t say it was ONLY $2000 like you surmised/replied out of context to...

He said you wouldn’t see this upper echelon model of the Pineapple Sunday sell for $2000 brand new ever again
No, no, I got it. I was just responding to why it might seem a little slow in selling. Absolutely worth more than the asking price. :shaka:

Top Bottom