Thread: Ohana TK-30

Default Ohana TK-30

Was looking at an Ohana TK-30 tenor, all solid mahogany, matte finish. Can't seem to find much about it online. I believe it is an older model, similar to the all solid TK-35. Anyone have opinions on this model, or know if there are any other differences from the TK-35? I previously owned a TK-35G (gloss) and liked it. I expect the matte finish model might sound a bit different.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 12-17-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    John

I think the main difference between the 30 & 35 is the finish, if it's the same as their sopronos & concerts.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I ended up grabbing the TK-30, a 2007 model which was played very little. It's in transit now. It appears to be much like a TK-35, but has an ab rosette, no headstock purfling, and a matte finish instead of gloss. Looks like nice wood to my eye. I hope that, as some say, the matte finish is a bit more open sounding.

20191217_195353.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217-190707_Reverb.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 12-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    John

Enjoy, John. I’ve always thought the Ohana mahoganies had a great warm sound.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Enjoy, John. I’ve always thought the Ohana mahoganies had a great warm sound.
    Thanks, the last Ohana tenor I had (TK-35G) sounded great with Aquila and Fremont low G, but I'll try this as reentrant first, probably with some Oasis Brights, if the old strings don't sound good. This one is from 2007, so about 1 year after Ohana started in 2006. Should arrive tomorrow, on Christmas Eve, might be my player for the holiday festivities!
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 12-23-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I hope that, as some say, the matte finish is a bit more open sounding.
    It might be hard to discern, but I think that would be true...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I hope that, as some say, the matte finish is a bit more open sounding.
    Still, the matte finish is some sort of coating, is it necessarily a thinner coating than a glossy one? I have not idea, a question for a luthier I guess.

There's one type of finish that leaves rather "open" pores, I guess that would be a thin coating.

Eugenio
    Last edited by emarcano; 12-27-2019 at 04:14 AM.

My TK35G is an excellent ukulele for the money. Beautiful wood,gloss finish and sound.
    Ohana TK-35G, Kanilea K1 DLX tenor, Kanilea K1 SF concert, Imua ICN, Famous FS-5, Luna (Kiwaya L400), Islander AC4, Flea concert, Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor, Kala Rumbler FL, The Rebel Double Cheesecake

Just got this one in, fresh from the original owner in CA. He bought it new in 2007, played it once, then stored it until now. Absolutely pristine condition, in original Ohana gigbag. Was strung lefty, with no mods, so I swapped the strings around for righty. It had the original Aquila strings from 2007. They sounded ok, but I usually like flouros better on mahogany, so I'll probably go with flouros or maybe try New Nylguts. Not sure if my ears are fooling me, but it does seem to sound a bit louder and more open than the gloss TK-35G I had previously. Specs are also a tiny bit different: the TK-35G had a nut width of 36mm and string spread of 28.5mm; this TK-30 is 35mm and 29.75mm. Happily, I can usually deal with a 35mm nut if the string spread is close to 30mm. Sounds and plays great so far, will probably keep this one reentrant.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-02-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    John

Looks right at home in my favorite Koolau tenor case.

20200101_151018.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-02-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    John

Thread Information