Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need help!

Default I Need help!

We're sort of at an impasse here.
    This month, we've been playing non religious Christmas songs for the patrons and kids in Shriner's Childrens hospital lobby.
    The kids (and parents) have interacted with us to a greater degree than ever before, and I doubt if it's due to our skill.
    Up till now, we've mostly been playing songs that WE relate to, and we're all old farts. One guy even said, "It's time these kids learn the old stuff."
    I Called BS, maybe they don't want to. I said "maybe it's time we learn their music." I got a lot of resistance. Now, I'll admit, I really hate Drop Baby Drop.
    I know that most of today's music sucks, by our musical standards, but I want these kids and parents to experience something they can relate to.
    We're there to help alleviate their anxiety, not for the pleasure of banging out Hello Mary Lou (which I also hate) week after week.
    Where can we find songs that are easy for us to adapt to ukulele (Intermediate skill level) that these kids, ages toddlers to teens can enjoy?
    Thanks!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

We play in local hospitals using a mix of songs, but with our regular barn dance tunes in between. These usually go down well with all ages, especially the lively jigs - often have the nurses bopping around the wards.

In one case, a fracture patient was being walked along the corridor by a physiotherapy nurse and perked up having a tune with the right rhythm. Has also been a great way to engage with dementia patients.

We use a mix of instruments to break things up a bit, and usually have 'show and tell' sessions to answer any questions about them after a set. Also have some percussion and tin whistles for the munchkins to play with.

I appreciate that this is going off at a bit of a tangent, but if you do have some other instruments available to mix in, wondered if this would be a way of avoiding the old vs new material issue.
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

There is a book called daily ukulele. Has 365 songs. Everything from country western to 60s pop and some standards. If I can play out of it, I know you can

Old people & resistance to new things, it's well known, & they/we don't want to change, but that's not the point.

As above it's about giving your audience what they would like to hear, & maybe even join in with.

Put it to your 'old farts' - are you playing for yourself, or your audience.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I's say go with music from Disney/Pixar/other animated movies and you'll be in a safe middle ground. I jumped in with the music therapy folks a few months ago, and it was all Disney/Movie tunes. The kids loved it. It's stuff they are familiar with.......Frozen, Moana, Aladdin. We also did "Happy" by Pharrell, and "Can't Stop The Feeling" by Justin Timberlake (old fart here who can't tell you what movies those were from).
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Thanks ubulele
    Yeah, I have my preferences which include mostly songs of the 30's, 40's, 50' and 60's
    (less most Folk and Protest songs).
    if my audience enjoys what I perform, we both win. If they don't like it, they lose... I still win
    I'm not trying to be difficult, I just do the songs I enjoy and hope the audience will enjoy
    them with me.
    One day I fully expect to have to listen to the songs of the 60's to 2020's in a rest home whether
    I like or know them or not. Oh well, perhaps I'll learn them then.

keep uke'in',
    Last edited by Uncle Rod Higuchi; 12-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Go to https://www.e-chords.com/
    and if you don't want to join can do cut and paste. If you join you can get quick transpositions (unless you're already good at it).
    I've spent time there just trolling around.
    chordify, chords and tabs, and ultimate guitar work too. They're geared towards guitar, but at least e-chords will show chords for uke.
    Heck a chord's a chord though.
    They've been useful for me especially trying to dig up some country songs along with the rock

Everybody is crazy about that Gary Newman song in "Frozen" right now. "You got a friend in me"
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    Everybody is crazy about that Gary Newman song in "Frozen" right now. "You got a friend in me"
    You've Got a Friend In Me is by Randy Newman, and is from the movie Toy Story. I Love it, the gang thinks it's too hard. I'm pressing it.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Quote Originally Posted by plunker View Post
    There is a book called daily ukulele. Has 365 songs. Everything from country western to 60s pop and some standards. If I can play out of it, I know you can
    Thanks.

Actually, this book was written for TBUS, the club I'm in. Very familiar with it. Many of our songs came from here.

Thread Information