Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need help!

There is a reason why songs that have been around for decades still get played over and over by thousands of players: they are simply that good and resist short time changes in musical tastes. Much of the modern "music" does not even have discernible melodies so what's the point in trying to replicate these songs, they will be forgotten soon. The kids nowadays are exposed to a lot of noise, and a song they like this week will be replaced by something else next week. There is no point in trying to catch up. Stick with the music that has made many generations of people happy, it is here to stay for the next generations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    You've Got a Friend In Me is by Randy Newman, and is from the movie Toy Story. I Love it, the gang thinks it's too hard. I'm pressing it.
    Not sure what resource you're using for this song. Just want to let you know, Dr. Uke has a version of this song on his site that's not too hard to play. Our group has done it, and we have people with a wide range of playing abilities. Might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    There is a reason why songs that have been around for decades still get played over and over by thousands of players: they are simply that good and resist short time changes in musical tastes. Much of the modern "music" does not even have discernible melodies so what's the point in trying to replicate these songs, they will be forgotten soon. The kids nowadays are exposed to a lot of noise, and a song they like this week will be replaced by something else next week. There is no point in trying to catch up. Stick with the music that has made many generations of people happy, it is here to stay for the next generations as well.
    You know, you do make a lot of sense....I can't argue your points.

Maiden Uke, it came from the Daily Ukulele, I Think the blue book, or Leap Year Edition. They said I do it wrong because it's not exactly like Newman did it. We have some real purists. I ain't one.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Every time we do Holly Jolly Christmas I have to mention my late friend who passed in August. He toured and sang with Burl Ives. He learned to play tenor guitar and tenor banjo and baritone uke. His wife played keyboard. She passed away right after him.
    They did more to encourage me than anyone else.

But I'm not looking for Christmas songs. We have plenty. I need non seasonal songs that will mean as much to these kids as the Christmas ones have.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Kerrville, TX - Heart of the Fabulous Texas Hill Country

Just a thought, but why not interview a number of youngsters and ask them what songs they like? That should at least get you pointed in the right direction.
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Just a thought, but why not interview a number of youngsters and ask them what songs they like? That should at least get you pointed in the right direction.
    Good plan. Now to find some kids. We're doing a concert for a kid's summer camp, ages 6 to 12 in June...

I discover new songs from what my phone app serves up. Sometimes the new songs i like and I learn are what the younger set is into. And then I appear cool for a very short moment in time.
    Last edited by Martinlover; 02-18-2020 at 03:52 PM.

When I play as part of a duo, we try to do a lot of different things that might relate to kids - my partner has two boys, 9 and 12 y/o, and works in a high school.

As a result, there is at least 1 Taylor Swift song in the mix. But truthfully, that's 10 years old. most of our "new" songs are 20-30 years old, although when we play an "oldie", it is more often than not from the mid-1800s (Think Stephen Foster).

I've started to add some Broadway tunes, like "Once Upon A December" from Anastasia, and some Disney.

Sometimes, even songs I've found asinine sound good, when done differently (Like Richard Thompson's version of "Oops I did it again")

Good Luck
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Hello. Whether in a group or an audience trying to please everyone is difficult. In a lot of cases the “foot stomping” standards which almost everyone knows are almost a requirement....”You Are My Sunshine” and the like to get them singing along. But, younger (and older) crowds like to hear more current material. Today’s pop music is usually down to 4 chords ( c,g,f,am ) . If you go to your web browser and key in “99 most popular ukulele songs” a wealth of choice appears. I find the uketabs site very helpful. Or, as I did when I started out, keying in Uke Circles or Uke Groups....almost all have song books which you can pick and choose....and if they are in a song book chances are they are known by all. Have fun.

Nickie, here is a list of some of my favourite song sites....BUG is one of my favs.

https://lewishamukulele.wordpress.com/songs-songbooks/

Thread Information