Removing a musty smell from a uke

BigJackBrass

Charlatan, Humbug & Imitation Humorist
UU VIP
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience in removing musty smells from a ukulele? I have a solid mahogany soprano which, due to unexpected circumstances, sat in its case for a couple of years and has developed a noticeable, although not overpowering, odour. There are no signs of mould or similar.

Generally I could deal with this sort of thing using baking soda and other trusty remedies, but naturally I'm a little cautious given that I don't want to damage or dry out the instrument. At the moment I have it and the case (which doesn't seem to smell) airing in the house. Thoughts?

Thanks for the links. Much of that tallies with what I've found myself: the majority of suggestions seem to fall into the "I once heard this guy say a friend of his swears by…" category, whereas I was hoping for more first hand experience of what definitely doesn't damage the instrument (which is my concern, as I can certainly remove the smell were that not a worry).

...the majority of suggestions seem to fall into the "I once heard this guy say a friend of his swears by…"

Right. That's why I don't expect to get definitive answers from a forum. I prefer to read an article written by an "expert" who actually knows what he's talking about.

I've had good luck with activated charcoal in a cloth bag placed in the sound hole for a while followed by ceder chips. Don't forget to wipe down the outside of the instrument too.

I've had good luck with activated charcoal in a cloth bag placed in the sound hole for a while followed by ceder chips. Don't forget to wipe down the outside of the instrument too.

The charcoal works well...……...and you can buy various sizes on Amazon. The case should be done similarly and separately.

Nice if you already have one or access to one but I wouldn't spend $40 to try and get a fairly low grade smell out of a case.

This post about removing a bad smell was made by - OldePhart. :D :D :D

I lol. :D

And I have type more cos I’m not allowed to post a short 1 word reply and I Guess it’s long enough so I think I should stop like right now.

Nice if you already have one or access to one but I wouldn't spend $40 to try and get a fairly low grade smell out of a case.

Right. That's why I didn't list it, and the original poster wasn't overwhelmed by the results. You could buy a uke for that price! (an ornamental wall hanger) :D

rub coffee grounds into it, then shake them out

Top Bottom