Get the Smell Out

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Someone posted a question about getting the musty smell out of a uke. I turned to Google, and here's a summary of suggestions - mostly for guitars, but the same principle applies.

Murphys Oil Soap and a sponge. Dilute the soap a bit and get to cleaning.
Tea tree oil
UV light
Leave the case outside in the sun for a few days. Leave a fan blowing directly at it to circulate air over it.
Baking soda. Sprinkle in and vacuum or leave in shallow tray.
Cedar or pine chips
Coffee - whole beans or ground - not used coffee grounds
White rice sprinkled or in a sachet bag
Dried oregano
Vanilla extract

Potato - baking type cut lengthwise
Activated charcoal, the kind used in aquariums. Put it in some kind of porous bag.
Lemon oil. Sprinkle on a rag and leave in case or guitar sound hole.
Distilled white vinegar.
Febreze unscented - of questionable value
Apple core
Quarter an apple. Place one quarter in either end of the case. Close lid.
Fresh air and sunshine
Pound or two of rice, dry. Put it in the soundhole, shake it around, leave it for a day, vacuum it out.
Cedar chips

Fragrant sachet of coffee grounds removes almost all odors. Once the bad smell is gone, substitute mahogany sawdust for that great out-of-the-case experience.
Arm and Hammer baking soda
Vinegar and water
Dry tea bags
Odor Eaters
Volcanic Deodorizer - sold in pet stores
BioWorld Odor Neutralizer
MAX Smoke Eliminator
OdoBan Odor Eliminator
Zero Odor #00013 Odor Eliminator
Skunk Off

I don't have a smelly uke but I do have a smelly case. I'd be interested in hearing what method noted above actually worked for someone who actually used it first hand and found that it worked for them. I won't spray any kind of chemical or perfumed air freshener type thing in there for fear of how it might interact with the finish of the uke.

I tried the method of having air blow directly into the case by placing the opened case over one of our heating vents and letting it sit there for 3 day. It helped in the short term but once the case was closed again for a few days, the smell returned. Fortunately the smell isn't strong enough to impart the scent to the uke. At least not yet.

An easier option (which takes some forethought) is not to have so many instruments that you cannot play them and they sit in cases mouldering in neglect. I know it is easier said than done.

I don't have a smelly uke but I do have a smelly case. I'd be interested in hearing what method noted above actually worked for someone who actually used it first hand and found that it worked for them. I won't spray any kind of chemical or perfumed air freshener type thing in there for fear of how it might interact with the finish of the uke.

I tried the method of having air blow directly into the case by placing the opened case over one of our heating vents and letting it sit there for 3 day. It helped in the short term but once the case was closed again for a few days, the smell returned. Fortunately the smell isn't strong enough to impart the scent to the uke. At least not yet.

I have this problem with one case. The less expensive Chinese made ones use the adhesive from hell. I've left it out for days, but like you, the smell comes back when you close it up.

I have a Tuba which I got from a store, second hand. When I got it, its giant case had a musty smell (not unlike urine, groan). So I crammed it full of newspapers and locked it up for a long time. Then, after taking out the yucky newspapers, I loaded it up with a bunch of those little deodorizer packets that we all get in packages, etc. I had quite a few and added more later. When I finally opened it up, the smell was gone.

Then, with still more packets from time to time, I stored it away in the garage. Now, only the tuba music smells. :eek:ld:

Frank Ford at Frets.com knows all and has an enormous page with detailed instructions. I have spent many, many hours learning from his experience.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Quickies/RiceClean/riceclean.html

Scooter

I have used Frank's "Rice Trick" several times on ukuleles over 70 years old that reeked of cigerette smoke inside. What a incredible difference it made. The first time I did it with a particular ukulele, the rice went in white and came out dark grey. Then each time I would do it it would be a little better. After four treatments, the ukulele was clean inside with no smell. Frank Ford is amazing (and a really nice guy).

The best results I had were using ground coffee. Rice reduced the smell ( a cheap fragrance, presumably from some sort of room deodorant), baking soda and activated charcoal did too. But the smell still lingered until I put a spice bag filled with ground coffee in the sound hole.
If I had to do it again, I’d go straight to the coffee.

I have one case made in China, not cheap, it costs me $150. It was built really well, solid and high end looking. But...oh the smell of glue!!!!! I tried airing it out 24/7 for 3 months. It got better but as soon as I closed it for a few days, the smell came back!!!!. I tried to put bags of activated charcoals in it, with or without closing the case. I tired blowing it with a fan for 1 week straight... Not getting rid of the problem. I discovered it was the over spilling of glue in the neck storage compartment exposed. I plan to cut out the whole compartment and cut out the glue infested fabric of that area, rebuild the compartment and see if it would help.

This is my third case from the same brand (CrossRock Fiberglass Case), all the others were great, no smell. Just this one.

Last edited:
I have one case made in China, not cheap, it costs me $150. It was built really well, solid and high end looking. But...oh the smell of glue!!!!! I tried airing it out 24/7 for 3 months. It got better but as soon as I closed it for a few days, the smell came back!!!!. I tried to put bags of activated charcoals in it, with or without closing the case. I tired blowing it with a fan for 1 week straight... Not getting rid of the problem. I discovered it was the over spilling of glue in the neck storage compartment exposed. I plan to cut out the whole compartment and cut out the glue infested fabric of that area, rebuild the compartment and see if it would help.

This is my third case from the same brand (CrossRock Fiberglass Case), all the others were great, no smell. Just this one.
Got one of these from Glarry music and will probably toss it because of smell. Even after months open it still stinks if it's closed up. Construction of them isn't bad, but the glue smell is hideous. Hadn't wanted to spend a lot on a case because it's for a cheap handmade banjo uke and I figured it would keep the bridge from sliding around during transport

https://www.glarrymusic.com/glarry-...pattern-leather-hardshell-case-black-p75.html

Top Bottom