Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get the Smell Out

The best results I had were using ground coffee. Rice reduced the smell ( a cheap fragrance, presumably from some sort of room deodorant), baking soda and activated charcoal did too. But the smell still lingered until I put a spice bag filled with ground coffee in the sound hole.
    If I had to do it again, I’d go straight to the coffee.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I don't have a smelly uke but I do have a smelly case. I'd be interested in hearing what method noted above actually worked for someone who actually used it first hand and found that it worked for them. I won't spray any kind of chemical or perfumed air freshener type thing in there for fear of how it might interact with the finish of the uke.

I tried the method of having air blow directly into the case by placing the opened case over one of our heating vents and letting it sit there for 3 day. It helped in the short term but once the case was closed again for a few days, the smell returned. Fortunately the smell isn't strong enough to impart the scent to the uke. At least not yet.
    I have one case made in China, not cheap, it costs me $150. It was built really well, solid and high end looking. But...oh the smell of glue!!!!! I tried airing it out 24/7 for 3 months. It got better but as soon as I closed it for a few days, the smell came back!!!!. I tried to put bags of activated charcoals in it, with or without closing the case. I tired blowing it with a fan for 1 week straight... Not getting rid of the problem. I discovered it was the over spilling of glue in the neck storage compartment exposed. I plan to cut out the whole compartment and cut out the glue infested fabric of that area, rebuild the compartment and see if it would help.

This is my third case from the same brand (CrossRock Fiberglass Case), all the others were great, no smell. Just this one.
    Last edited by Lapyang; 12-20-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    I have one case made in China, not cheap, it costs me $150. It was built really well, solid and high end looking. But...oh the smell of glue!!!!! I tried airing it out 24/7 for 3 months. It got better but as soon as I closed it for a few days, the smell came back!!!!. I tried to put bags of activated charcoals in it, with or without closing the case. I tired blowing it with a fan for 1 week straight... Not getting rid of the problem. I discovered it was the over spilling of glue in the neck storage compartment exposed. I plan to cut out the whole compartment and cut out the glue infested fabric of that area, rebuild the compartment and see if it would help.

This is my third case from the same brand (CrossRock Fiberglass Case), all the others were great, no smell. Just this one.
    Got one of these from Glarry music and will probably toss it because of smell. Even after months open it still stinks if it's closed up. Construction of them isn't bad, but the glue smell is hideous. Hadn't wanted to spend a lot on a case because it's for a cheap handmade banjo uke and I figured it would keep the bridge from sliding around during transport

https://www.glarrymusic.com/glarry-f...black-p75.html

Thread Information