Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Price of Used Ukes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I bought a Rolando banjo uke from someone on UU, and a previous owner's name is carved inside, "Grace Neely '20".
    I like to personalize my stuff like that.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I like to personalize my stuff like that.
    Jake is totally willing to autograph ukes for people. I wonder if he would carve his name into one.

The only ones I'm personalizing are a Flea and some Flukes - with paint on the tops.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Jake is totally willing to autograph ukes for people. I wonder if he would carve his name into one.

The only ones I'm personalizing are a Flea and some Flukes - with paint on the tops.
    It aint mine til I put my name on it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    It aint mine til I put my name on it.
    Now where'd I put that Dremmel tool?
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Now where'd I put that Dremmel tool?
    Did you check inside the body of the last uke you marked?

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    Did you check inside the body of the last uke you marked?
    Mark it inside? Now there's an idea!
    Glenn

Once I realised that I would never be satisfied with a factory built instrument, I knew I would be looking at custom builds. Buying a used instrument was my gateway to this level of instrument. I figured that I would have to try different woodsets, neck shapes and widths, etc, before I would be confident enough to commission my own build.
    That proved to be a good strategy and one that wasn’t too expensive to ultimately reach my goal.
    It was also fun actually experiencing the work of various excellent Luthiers.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I was just talking via phone with a retired luthier who owns Arrowhead Luthiery. He has more stringed instruments in an old 2 story house than you can shake a stick at. One is a very old Martin guitar in original condition that looks brand new. He has Civil War era and older instruments that are still playable. He's a very savvy horse trader. Hearing his stories about each instrument he's acquired makes for a very interesting afternoon. Some of them are pretty close to priceless.
    He's unafraid to ask for top dollar for you to buy one, too.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    I was just talking via phone with a retired luthier who owns Arrowhead Luthiery. He has more stringed instruments in an old 2 story house than you can shake a stick at. One is a very old Martin guitar in original condition that looks brand new. He has Civil War era and older instruments that are still playable. He's a very savvy horse trader. Hearing his stories about each instrument he's acquired makes for a very interesting afternoon. Some of them are pretty close to priceless.
    He's unafraid to ask for top dollar for you to buy one, too.
    That would be a great way to spend an afternoon. Fascinating for sure.

If he's interested in selling some of his collection, you might refer him to Dave Rogers of Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI. https://davesguitar.com/ He owns one of the largest independent guitar stores in the Midwest. And has a huge collection of important and historical guitars and other instruments and amplifiers. He might be very interested in the Martin or other items. Who knows? At the very least, it's a contact and they could swap stories.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I would personally never make permanent markings on an instrument. Well perhaps something I found decorative, but a name, ain't going to happen. Not even on the inside. I dont plan on selling my ukes, but the thought of them losing any appeal for others to have at some point for having my name engraved would just seem destructive. And I wouldnt let anybody put their signature on it either.
    But people are different that way, just dont sell your marked ukes without warnibg people that it has etchings like that, people should know and be able to choose.

Also, the plan of all 2 hand ukes being sold at 90 of the retail price if a price cartel was made - that would only work for some hard to get by ukes.
    Most people are ready to pay more than 10% ekstra for being the first to own an instrument.
    But go ahead, set your price high. Nobody is forced to buy it. If someone is willing to pay, they are. And if people try to haggle, the high er the starting point the higher the possible price.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information