The Price of Used Ukes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
This is an odd situation. If you buy a used car, you can expect a lot of wear. If you buy a used ukulele, you want it to look like new, but you want to pay a lower price.

I don't hesitate to buy used items, and 28% of my ukes were bought used. In most cases, they would be indistinguishable from new ones, yet I paid below the store price. Logically, it's hard to justify the lower price because an undamaged uke is just like a new one. If the price for a new one and a used one were the same, I doubt anyone would choose the used one unless it were something special - signed by a famous player, for example.

The same goes for selling a used uke. If I paid $500 for a nice uke and sold it five years later, why shouldn't I charge $500 for it, assuming it's in like-new condition? Still, I would feel obliged to charge less because it is older and "used" more.

As I said, it's an odd situation.

Not really that odd. If you buy new, you expect a certain amount of support from the retailer such as returns, warranty, adjustments, possibly a discount on accessories. When you buy used, you buy as is, with an unknown history. It may look perfect, but may have been improperly stored and have problems down the line.

Probably it is perfect, but there's added risk so lower price.

Many factors that affect price of used, some of them are:
  • ukuleles like everything else deteriorate with age, and if they get used a lot the wear on frets, neck, gears, and body accelerate the aging process so may have less usable life in them than a new one,
  • some ukuleles have lifetime warranty that is attached to original owner, this usually reflects about one third of new cost which is lost on sale as used,
  • most ukulele makers increase the price of their instruments over time, so when an older one is offered used it may be a lot cheaper than a new one, but also at a higher price as when it was new itself,
  • the value of money changes through inflation, so for older ukes that needs to be taken into account
  • specs of ukes change over time, and more often than not this reflects efficiencies in manufacturing and lower quality materials in order to reduce cost of production, so used ones may actually be "better" than equivalent new models

So overall this is complicated, and used prices more often reflect the psychology and emotions of buyers and sellers in the market than quantifiable factors as listed above.

New generally has a warrantee and backing from the maker. If something goes wrong they should fix it. Used should have any kinks worked out, but you have to trust the seller. A used uke in truly mint condition is rare, and people often want to put the first fingernail scratches in themselves. Or the opposite: I don’t mind used because I don’t want to have to worry about putting that first little ding in a perfect instrument. And I know it’s likely that I will, so I’ll let somebody else take the depreciation.

My main reasons to buy new is that I can’t find what I want used locally, or I can’t find it for enough less than new that it’s worth the extra risk. There are two GoldTone MicroBasses available near me, but I’ll order new: they’re asking $20 less than Guitar Center. I expect GC will discount, and I’ll take the warranty thanks.

What’s weird is that I don’t like to negotiate so I’ve not made an offer on the local used ones, but my head feels asking my GC guy for a quote is fair. Not sure what I’m thinking there.

Historically, I’ve been bitten twice on a used buy, and both were from Guitar Center. The first had a bit more paint issues than I had expected from the description (including verbal - I talked to the selling store), but not enough to mix the deal. That on I still have. I should sell it, but keep playing it instead of listing it. The second was a strat with a giant divot on the top edge that wasn’t apparent on the picture. That got returned.

Everything I’ve bought locally of through the marketplace here turned out well.

This is an odd situation. If you buy a used car, you can expect a lot of wear. If you buy a used ukulele, you want it to look like new, but you want to pay a lower price.

I don't hesitate to buy used items, and 28% of my ukes were bought used. In most cases, they would be indistinguishable from new ones, yet I paid below the store price. Logically, it's hard to justify the lower price because an undamaged uke is just like a new one. If the price for a new one and a used one were the same, I doubt anyone would choose the used one unless it were something special - signed by a famous player, for example.

The same goes for selling a used uke. If I paid $500 for a nice uke and sold it five years later, why shouldn't I charge $500 for it, assuming it's in like-new condition? Still, I would feel obliged to charge less because it is older and "used" more.

As I said, it's an odd situation.

ALL goods, including cars have people wanting to buy in like new condition. Look at used car listings and you will see the ones in pristine condition with low miles. If you peruse Ebay, all manner of items are listed as mint. If an item is collectible, there isn't really a discount and normally it costs more. If not, mint condition gets you closer to what you paid, but subject, like everything else, to supply and demand. Nothing confusing about it. We all want to pay less for used things and we all want them to have as little wear as possible, regardless of the item.

I never buy used ukes, it's just not worth the risk, especially if the price is not much less than new!

Likewise, I don't buy pre used harmonicas, not worth the risk, plus you have to strip & sanitize them.

But I do buy used flutes & whistles, but not wooden ones.

I have witnessed that there is about a 20% discount when an uke goes from new to used, however, once it hits that "used" price point, it usually stays there as long as it is in good condition. Assumning great used condition, A used Kamaka tenor from 2000 will sell between $850-$1000 and so would a 2017 or 2018. I find that once the uke hits that "drive off the lot" price, if it is a quality uke, and quality maker, it then finds its price and stays there.

The more replaceable an instrument is, the more likely it’ll lose value on the used market. Even dinged-up vintage instruments often sell now for much more (in inflation adjusted dollars) than they did new. Yep. Supply and demand.

Last edited:
It is a risk buying used. Don't like buying w/o trying. Only got burnt once though. 90% of my instruments have been used. There does have to be a very, very significant discount. I look for an instrument that is excellent quality and would be completely out of my price range if new. I welcome some normal play wear to get a great instrument that I couldn't otherwise afford. I agree that it's wise to pass right by those instruments that are used but folks want to get almost as much as new (regardless if they say it's mint).

You mentioned guitar center. I would only buy from them if you have a chance to put your hands on the instrument and inspect it as they try to pass off a lot of flawed instruments.

I'm with several here, the risk. With any used ukulele I ask myself why? Why is this uke the one they want to get rid of. Obviously there is something the seller doesn't like about it. of all their ukes it is the worst one they have for some reason. So the price has to be low enough that I'm willing to put my concerns aside and buy it anyway.

Usually people sell ukes because, they need the money, bought a better uke or quit playing. The only uke I purchased new was my first one. Now I have about 10, all from eBay or GumTree. Some of them I was able to try if they were local. The rest I crossed my fingers but so far it has always worked out. Most were 40 - 60% of the new price and some much less. Most expensive was a 1970s Kamaka soprano, bought on eBay in the UK from a seller in France for about £350. I always look at the description and pictures carefully and ask questions of the seller. Sometimes the seller is a bit odd so I back off. Worst sounding uke was a 30£ plastic American flag Mahalo bought new on Amazon. Good wall hanger tho. (so I guess I bought more new than I remembered) Now that I have several very good ukes to play, I've sold off the intermediates to friends in the uke club for the price I paid. They seem happy. Now I look on the sites for collectible ukes and other stringed instruments similar in size. Latest purchase on eBay was a timple from the Canary Island. It is a five string tuned GCEAD, so I ought to be able to play it a bit.

I'm with several here, the risk. With any used ukulele I ask myself why? Why is this uke the one they want to get rid of. Obviously there is something the seller doesn't like about it. of all their ukes it is the worst one they have for some reason. So the price has to be low enough that I'm willing to put my concerns aside and buy it anyway.

Interesting. In my case, when I sell a uke it's just because I'm not thrilled with it anymore. Buying it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I lost interest in it. With so many ukes stored in my room, I know I have to sell a bunch of them, but I can't decide which ones I can let go.

Sometimes (like five times), I'll sell a uke and then regret it and buy it again - Tiny Tenor, Duke 10, etc. I sold a KoAloha Scepter because I wound up with three of them. The Grateful Dead was bought on impulse, and I sold it a few months later. I saw some nice reviews of a Bruko concert and bought the one that Vic Schmeltz was selling. No complaints about the Bruko, but I realized that I could live without it. It was the same with two small banjo ukes that seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe I can bring myself to sell some in the spring, but I can't imagine which ones.

So far I sold one uke that I had bought online because I didn't like it, but I sold it locally so the person who bought it had plenty of time to check it out and try and sure loved it. The only other one that I consider selling now is one that my local luthier built, and I bought it just because I wanted to have one of his instruments. It is outstanding, but I just can't fit it into the rotation with my other ukes. I played for maybe half hour and it is sad to see it sitting there in its case. So yeah I believe that many people sell ukes just because they have too many and bought some of them for the wrong reasons.

There is a Uke listed the market place for 300 + shipping. Mim sells the same model for 315 & free shipping. I don’t want to flame the seller, but here is an example of maybe a bad price for a used instrument. I don’t believe in giveaways, but there should be some discount for a used instrument.

I keep most everything that I buy and use it ‘til it wears out, or until I decide to give it away to someone. I have traded stuff in for new stuff once or twice though.

I don't ever sell anything to anyone anymore. In the past, selling stuff was such a hassle with buyers who changed their minds and picky buyers who insisted on at least some of their money back because of a minor scratch or “blemish”. Better to just give unwanted stuff away.

I am very choosy when I buy and try to always buy new and “tested” if possible. I’ve had mostly good luck buying though I have made some questionable choices.

I don’t like buying on the internet, though I do it now. Stuff isn’t always what they say it is. :eek:ld:

If the cost of a used ukulele is close to the cost of a new one, then I would much rather buy new. If for no other reason than I would get the setup I wanted on it. And perhaps a warranty.

The only used ukuleles I would pay near the original price for, (or maybe the cost of the equivalent model new) would be a commemorative one in excellent condition. Such as a Kamaka 100th Anniversary tenor.

So far, I have had great results buying used here on the UU marketplace. Only one was a dud, and that was almost a year ago. Mixed results buying used elsewhere.

I wonder how much of a discount I should give on my 130 year old Bay State Parlor guitar? I buy and sell regularly; usually to local people. I buy quality and usually custom so like to see who they go to.

Top Bottom