Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Price of Used Ukes

Double post.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    If you want to get more for used ukes, start asking for more. Stop posting comments about how cheap they should be and start posting comments about how the prices should be higher. Market used ukes at 90% of MSRP, no matter what you paid. "The going price for used ukes is 90% of MSRP, don't try and low ball me". I doubt it will happen, the reason why used ukes are not getting a return is that most sellers will undercut each other instead of supporting each other. A rising tide floats all ships.

I cut out a little square of masking tape and put a date on it and stick it inside my ukes so I know when I bought them. No need for a Dremel.
    Sellers can price things as high as they like and support each other in doing so. Buyers will still feel that 10% off is not sufficient and just buy a new uke. With a new one from a reputable store, you KNOW it will have a good setup and won't have repaired cracks or have been dried out and rehydrated. Unless it's a collectible. it will ALWAYS be a buyer's market. Ask whatever you want and let it languish or price to sell.

Although demand for any particular brand/builder seems to wax and wane, I’ve bought and sold my 2nd hand purchases for about 60ish to 70ish percent of their new price, which I considered fair as both a buyer and a seller. Prices seem to vary between those two goal posts with a few notable exceptions.
    Last edited by hollisdwyer; 12-21-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I cut out a little square of masking tape and put a date on it and stick it inside my ukes so I know when I bought them. No need for a Dremel.
    I have all the info about my ukes in a word processing file - six pages.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I have all the info about my ukes in a word processing file - six pages.
    I use spreadsheets for instruments, one for 'hunting', and one for 'gathered'. Individual sheets for each instrument, with dates, hyperlinks, pictures and cost calculations to crunch build costs and exchange rates. Spot the nerd.
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

The first step to getting higher prices for your used uke is believing that you can get a higher price for your used uke. Its no use complaining about low prices and doing nothing, do something to change the existing paradigms which are barriers in the market. A lot of sales is about belief.
    Just curious how many ukes that weren't "hot" that you've sold for 90% of the new price? Someone's personal beliefs of worth can't magically transform someone else's beliefs when there is an equal new uke for virtually the same amount, often with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Just curious how many ukes that weren't "hot" that you've sold for 90% of the new price? Someone's personal beliefs of worth can't magically transform someone else's beliefs when there is an equal new uke for virtually the same amount, often with free shipping.
    Interesting though, I look at new ukuleles on the internet and most everyone is selling a particular brand and model for the same rock bottom price, just dozens of them or more. But then there are some selling them for ten dollars more, then a few for twenty dollars more, and so it goes. It is easy to search for the best prices. I wonder how those people sell them at the inflated prices and who buys them at that price. I mean, those people are in business selling those ukes, so someone must be buying them.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Interesting though, I look at new ukuleles on the internet and most everyone is selling a particular brand and model for the same rock bottom price, just dozens of them or more. But then there are some selling them for ten dollars more, then a few for twenty dollars more, and so it goes. It is easy to search for the best prices. I wonder how those people sell them at the inflated prices and who buys them at that price. I mean, those people are in business selling those ukes, so someone must be buying them.
    This may be a bit peculiar, but sometimes someone might trust some vendors more than others.
    If you are browsing through the ukuleles on a well assorted ukulele webshop, and find one you like, perhaps you don't spend the time to search for cheaper prices - perhaps you find a ever so slightly cheaper price somewhere, but trust the first shop more. Perhaps they do setups better, have better service, or you want to support a good shop I don't know.
    But a 2. hand ukulele you are not finding listed on an ukulele web shop. You dont have the simplicity of buying with your credit card from a place with a return policy. You need to find that particular listing somewhere, you need to trust a complete stranger who doesnt necessarily have a shop reputation to keep up, you need to figure out paypal or something, and you run the risk that someone carved their name into the ukulele somewhere. So that trust of getting a brand new ukulele from a well reputed shop is something that people value.

I am not saying that I could not buy a 2. hand ukulele at a high price, but I needed to have some advantage over buying new. Perhaps if it is a model that I cannot buy in Europe and wont have to worry about import taxes when buying. If it was listed in Copenhagen so I could try it live before buying and didn't need to pay for shipping. But there has to be some advantage more than a $20 saving before I buy 2. hand over a new one.

When I have sold ukuleles, I have priced it on the principle: What is the highest prices where I, if I were the buyer, would still choose to buy 2. hand in stead of paying for a new one. If I wouldn't accept that price, perhaps I should not sell. That may not be the lowest I am willing to go on that ukulele either, but then there is room for bargaining.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 12-22-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    That would be a great way to spend an afternoon. Fascinating for sure.

If he's interested in selling some of his collection, you might refer him to Dave Rogers of Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI. https://davesguitar.com/ He owns one of the largest independent guitar stores in the Midwest. And has a huge collection of important and historical guitars and other instruments and amplifiers. He might be very interested in the Martin or other items. Who knows? At the very least, it's a contact and they could swap stories.
    I am 99% sure if Dave deals in acoustic guitars, or mandolins, Charlie knows him. He knows more pickers than I've ever met.
    Unfortunately, Charlie wasn't doing well yesterday, he didn't feel like talking at all, and he's a known chatterbox.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Bill,
    I've never thought of it that way, but since you bring it up, my favorite uke, there's no way I'd sell it for less than I paid for it. It's been worked on, and it plays way better now. Plus, there are no more like it.
    The uke I just bought, it's going to be better too, so I wouldn't sell it for the same or less either.
    The other two ukes are, well, they have sentimental value, one has 'famous' ukers autographs almost all over it, it ain't for sale, and the other one, it's beat up, been worked on, and was the 1st uke I ever played for hospice work. My daughter has it now, but I told her she can't buy it.
    I do believe that if an ukulele is a good one, and a one of a kind, it should go for a very steep price to a new buyer.
    If you don't like a uke that you have, is that a good reason to 'dump' it on the market for less than it's worth?
    I've done that, I'll admit, and I won't do it again. Thanks for the bird's eye view, Bill.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information