Harmonica

A lot of good information- thanks muchly.

Still,
Despite years of Music in school, no one ever spoke of the Circle of Fifths, which has opened my eyes on understanding music.
I, IV, V
I, vi, IV, V

But,
Can someone please explain why, WHY, when playing in the Key of ‘A’, one plays the ‘D’
It hasn’t sunk in yet.

A lot of good information- thanks muchly.

Still,
Despite years of Music in school, no one ever spoke of the Circle of Fifths, which has opened my eyes on understanding music.
I, IV, V
I, vi, IV, V

But,
Can someone please explain why, WHY, when playing in the Key of ‘A’, one plays the ‘D’
It hasn’t sunk in yet.
Simply put it's just all about the home note of the scale you're using. On a diatonic D harp, the key of A falls on the lower notes
where the soulful bluesy stuff happens. It's not a full scale though. Do some searching on "straight harp vs cross harp"
I've found there's a ton of into out there and what one person said clicks with me while another I don't get it.

Just to add some more info here:

I don't think this has been mentioned. Given the exact same harmonica and design different keys require different amounts of air. I think C is a good starting point always. A is pretty comfortable to me. When I get down to a G playing in cross harp i'd get winded easier. Lower harps seem to take a little more breath.

Another little tip for any beginners: Best advice I was ever given was to think of drawing air in instead of sucking and pushing air out instead of blowing, starting from the toes and going up through the body. Proper diaphragm breathing is really needed and can be learned. Thinking of "drawing and pushing" rather than "sucking or blowing" air into the instrument really helped me envision how to breathe while playing.
Laying on your back while playing can help give the right sensation too.
Also, even though a lot of great players play with their head tilted down at times, I wouldn't suggest it for when you're learning especially. Keep your chin up for much easier air flow. The same principles apply to singing. So if you're a singer or play other wind instruments you've got a head start.

Last edited:
It hasn’t sunk in yet.

As I was working on my bass after posting to this thread, I realized that the 2nd position for playing harmonica matches the one-five I use when playing bass. The way I would describe it is, the 5th is a compliment note to the root note of the key. I never learned theory while playing guitar for almost 50 years, but since playing bass over 5 years ago with my ukulele group and taking some lessons, I've learned a little theory. This was a nice revelation for me, that the harmonica to use for 2nd position (bending and blues) is actually the 5th of the key. I hope this clarifies it for you, it did for me.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

<controversy>Don't even look at chromatic harmonicas. They aren't real harmonicas. They kind of sound like harmonicas, but they are more properly devices which let you play anything using the harmonica tone. The real diatonic harmonica has limits which create its power </controversy>

Of course chromatics are real harmonicas. Listen to recordings by players like Larry Adler, Toots Theilmann, Stevie Wonder, John Sebastian Sr. What you probably meant to say was, "They are not diatonic harmonicas," or maybe, "They're not the kind of harmonicas I like to play."

<controversy>Don't even look at chromatic harmonicas. They aren't real harmonicas. They kind of sound like harmonicas, but they are more properly devices which let you play anything using the harmonica tone. The real diatonic harmonica has limits which create its power </controversy>

Of course chromatics are real harmonicas. Listen to recordings by players like Larry Adler, Toots Theilmann, Stevie Wonder, John Sebastian Sr. What you probably meant to say was, "They are not diatonic harmonicas," or maybe, "They're not the kind of harmonicas I like to play."

I have a few Charlie Musselwhite recordings. I feel about him the way I feel about jake shimabukuro, it is at the nth level of perfection and it leaves me cold. But, Jim, I always appreciate your precision. I really tightened up my thinking about key signatures after speaking with you. Before that I was naming notes willy-nilly as sharps or flats as the fancy took me.

I've been playing the Hohner Big River Diatonic Harmonicas for years. They are sturdy, play well, pretty airtight, and long lasting. I've played the Marine Band harps but I don't like the pear wood combs. They swell up when I clean with water. These days I run my Big Rivers (plastic comb) through my ultrasonic cleaner once very couple of months. Then let them air dry. My style is somewhat Bob Dylan/Neil Young inspired but I also like Micky Raphael (Willie's harmonica player). Most folk, Americana and country songs are played in same key (ex: key of C harp for key of C song, etc). For minor key songs I go one full step down (ex: song in Am I play G harp). For blues I play a fourth up (ex: for D blues - G harp , etc). I've been using my tongue for expression of notes as well as bending. I'm not sure about the over blow, I'm pretty old school.

https://www.reverbnation.com/artist/dougmacpherson

Last edited:
I have a few Charlie Musselwhite recordings. I feel about him the way I feel about jake shimabukuro, it is at the nth level of perfection and it leaves me cold. But, Jim, I always appreciate your precision. I really tightened up my thinking about key signatures after speaking with you. Before that I was naming notes willy-nilly as sharps or flats as the fancy took me.

I own a chromatic, but I never play it; well, I get it out about once a year and realise why I haven't been playing it. I love listening to chromatic players who know what they're doing, but I'll never be a chromatic player.
I have a neighbour, Carlos del Junco, who can make a diatonic sound like a chromatic. He can play in any key on one diatonic harp. He does this as a showpiece, not regularly.

Catapaw, I am impressed with the Big River harps as well. They're about the least expensive (that are worth playing) of the Hohner line, yet I don't see a huge difference between them and the Super 20. My current arsenal includes Big Rivers, Special 20s and Lee Oskars.

Last edited:
Hi, Jim, I have one of Carlos’ CDs and like his sound a lot. He's one of my favorites.

I think I have a Big River somewhere too, but I believe they are of the “new” breed of Horner (from China), and I am not interested in them. I dunno why Hohner moved from Germany. I guess I’ll just stick with my old, mostly German harps. They still play better than I can, and I still enjoy playin’ ‘em.

One of the bad things about old age is that things keep changin’ . . . :eek:ld:

Down Up Dick - I believe the Hohner Big River Harps are still made in Germany. My next Hohner will probably be a Special 20 just cause I'm curious about what I've heard about them. Or the Golden Melody, the design looks cool, hear they play pretty good,too.

Down Up Dick - I believe the Hohner Big River Harps are still made in Germany. My next Hohner will probably be a Special 20 just cause I'm curious about what I've heard about them. Or the Golden Melody, the design looks cool, hear they play pretty good,too.

I have quite a few Special 20s and like ‘em a lot, but my favorite harp, as I said before, is the Golden Mel. I don’t play much any more, but, when I do, it’s usually the GM. I wish they came a part so one could mess with the tuning things.

I had a great deal of enjoyment from my harps, but I’m a bit less windy than I usta be. :eek:ld:

Carlos likes Golden Melodies as well Dick. I leave my harps in the box when Carlos sits in with us.

Canada? I sorta thought he was from somewhere in South America.

I only have one of his CDs. I can’t locate it right now, but, anyway, I looked for others but never found one. :eek:ld:

Yes, Catapaw, you’re correct. I was wro . . . wron . . . wrooon —whew!— well, I was not . . . :eek:ld:

I’m a wet player, and those chromatic harmonica, plastic flaps stick and drive me crazy. I even pulled a couple off which was probably a mistake. I think it messed up the tone a bit.

It was so long ago that I don’t really remember. I rarely even take ‘em out to look at ‘em, let alone play em. :eek:ld:

Yeah, sticking valves, the bain of a chromatic player, but you can reduce the amount they stick by simply pre warming it to around body temperature, before playing. :)

Plus, nowadays, you can get some really playable valveless chromatics quite cheaply, (Swan/Kmise).

P.S. If you remove the valves, you need to re gap it, I converted a Hohner CX12 to valveless.

Canada? I sorta thought he was from somewhere in South America.

I only have one of his CDs. I can’t locate it right now, but, anyway, I looked for others but never found one. :eek:ld:

He's playing at the Ganaraska Hotel tonight with my son's band, The Quickshifters. Come on down if you're not too busy.

Carlos was born in Cuba, but has spent most of his life in Canada. No accent, unless you consider Canucks to have an accent.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 29- In case you missed it, I videoed a tune:

Last edited:
Top Bottom