Unmasking a two headed tenor

greenscoe

Reaction score
I decided to convert a souvenir mask into the body of a tenor uke.

It wasn't hollowed out much so that was the first task along with checking and correcting for symmetry so that the soundboard would look OK.

It was still too shallow so a quick mould was made for a neck block and 18mm high sides. This set of sides along with linings, top and bottom, was attached to the mask.

The mahogany top has a patch and 3 fans. Because of the size of the neck block only 1 transverse brace was needed.

The purfling and binding are plastic. I reduced the wings on the (Chinese) bridge because the soundboard is narrower than on a normal tenor.

The neck was joined with a loose tenon.

head1.jpghead2.jpghead3.jpghead4.jpghead5.jpg

So here's the finished instrument. The final image shows how it compares in size to a conventional uke.

It is strung with Seagur fishing line with a low G. Because the box is smaller I expected it to be bright: it isnt. The low G is a little weak but generally it is loud and warm and has lots of sustain. It suffers from being round backed and wants to slide off the knee.

The mask is made from a mahogany type wood and was painted black. I have deliberately resisted improving the carving or rough finish. I have had to touch it up where I joined the sides. I used blackboard matt black paint. The whole is finished in shellac.

I hope this encourages other to have a go at making a uke out of whatever container they have to make a sound box.

head1.jpghead2.jpghead3.jpghead4.jpg

The nose may need some protection-I reckon I need to have a handkerchief at the ready!

Last edited:
Great work! I'd love to hear how it sounds.
Reminds me of those carved back charangos.

That's awesome!

Lately I'm always looking for stuff that I might make a unique stringed instrument out of.

Top Bottom