WTB: South Coast wound C string

bearbike137

Reaction score
Hi all! I know this is a long shot, but if anyone happens to still have a South Coast wound 3rd string (C) around, I would love to buy it from you. I am down to my last one and nothing works better on my Kamaka tenor.

By the way - does anyone know whether Dirk made these himself, or did he outsource his strings? Thank you.

I believe Dirk made the strings. Closest I've come to a replacement C string is a Thomastik-Infeld CF27. I was hoping someone would have bought out his formulas for strings but so far, nothing. Jim Hanks may know more.

Hey Patrick. Thank you for the reply. I have tried the CF27, but I don't like it nearly as much on this particular uke. I have my fingers crossed that someone has a few SC wound strings sitting in a drawer!

I believe Dirk made the strings. Closest I've come to a replacement C string is a Thomastik-Infeld CF27. I was hoping someone would have bought out his formulas for strings but so far, nothing. Jim Hanks may know more.

Sorry, I have no added intel here. When I tried to get the last stock last winter, the wound basses were missing, so as far as I know, those secrets passed with Dirk.

T-I and Fremont Soloist are all I know about and the Soloist is typically a low G replacement.

There’s a chance that I might have some odd SC strings in my string box. I’ll check over the next few days and I’d I have any success I’ll get back to you.

Bumping this thread to the top! Still hoping to find someone with a few spare South Coast wound C (3rd) strings. Still haven't found any. Thank you!

I really do wish we could sort out where Dirk was sourcing those wound strings from. I love the Thomastik Infeld flat wounds, but with the longer scale, some baritones don't seem to care for the high tension when using the CF35 and CF30 combination. Dirk seemed to have sorted that out by having 3-4 different tensions on the wound strings to accommodate the different scales and build styles on long scale tenors, and baritones.

Top Bottom