Fret size?

Sawdust

Reaction score
I'm getting things together to build a tenor ukulele, what size fret wire do most of you guys use?

Once again thanks!
Sawdust

fret wire

I'm getting things together to build a tenor ukulele, what size fret wire do most of you guys use?

Once again thanks!
Sawdust

I was using the stew mac #0147 but then realized the #0148 is just a tiny bit wider, so I bought a pound of that, to also use on other than ukulele instruments. Next time I do a soprano, I'll try the narrow/low.

I mostly use SMD # 0764, but have used the medium size stuff too. Frankly I don't find much difference as far as playability is concerned. Either or.

0764 below:

fret wire.jpg

I use .080", but mostly cuz i always do bound fretboards and the .053" nickel/silver bends way to much.

On sopranos I use evo gold .053".

I use 1.5mm, because I prefer the feel of small frets. It's a matter of personal taste and some customers do ask for bigger fretwire.

Once again thanks!
Sawdust

Just a player’s observation on fret height. Since taking up the Ukulele I’ve had say approaching twenty Ukuleles through my hands, nothing particularly expensive, kept just a few and the rest have been bought then sold or given away. Some of those Ukes sounded better than others and some suited my style of play better than others but amongst the biggest factors for me, a real keep or sell factor, has been fret height.

For me to keep a Uke its frets have to be heigh enough for me to be able to play bared chords easily, a lot of Ukes have frets that are too shallow for me to use them easily. My technique is reasonable and I want to enjoy an instrument rather than fight it so what doesn’t work for me gets sold. So when you as a luthier select fret size I suggest that you think hard about fitting taller rather than shallower frets, make it easy for yourself and your customers to play; playing is for pleasure and no one should have to fight a Uke or be expected to have have perfect technique. Of course you’ll never please everybody, but trying to make the right selections (for you and your customers) must surely still be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom