Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 410: The Time of the Nines

Default Season 410: The Time of the Nines

No cross-dressing this week, I promise.

We're serving up a pretty broad pallet for your consideration this week on the cover-song side of the contest... Any song entirely created and released in a year ending in "9"... OR... a song created by an artist who was X9 years old (I'm 49, for example) at the time of his release. If you could manage both the XXX9 year and x9 age, I'd be very impressed.

There's also a songwriting contest which has little to do with 9's except that a set of 99, 19 and two sets of 29's are going to help you with writing it.

So, for covers, there we are. Usual rules regarding new stuff, timing.

FOR ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS... I set up a website just for this season to handle the html I needed for the contest...
    The other half of the contest, the random song part, is explained there.
    https://sites.google.com/view/sotu410

Playlist
    Last edited by Joko; 12-26-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Playlist add
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

oh wow great theme and ideas here!

napoleon in the style of the eurythmics
    lynda

acid skiffle

Wow!

First website ever set up to facilitate a season? Outstanding effort, hope people make sure it's not wasted.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

mathematical question - if a song was recorded on a 1988 album, and then released as a single in 1989, does it count for the season? (thinking about what you said, joko, about a song being released one year, and being a hit the next year, and that not counting...)
    lynda

acid skiffle

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    mathematical question - if a song was recorded on a 1988 album, and then released as a single in 1989, does it count for the season? (thinking about what you said, joko, about a song being released one year, and being a hit the next year, and that not counting...)
    A clever idea for the week, Joko, but, echoing what Lynda asked, I keep coming across songs that were written in one year and became a hit the following year ... is it possible to bend the rules a little bit?
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Fats Waller toon from 1929
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Quote Originally Posted by RAB11 View Post
    Wow!

First website ever set up to facilitate a season? Outstanding effort, hope people make sure it's not wasted.
    Yes, absolutely brilliant, Joko! Wish I had about a month (or two!) to do this justice!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Joko, a tip of the old fedora for such an inventive theme!

I hope to pull something together, as I’m on the Injured List from a fall, last Sunday, hours after I recorded Buck Owens. Working on the roof, slipped off a ladder, and fractured three ribs and (slightly) my right shoulder. All healing well, but it’s a process. No surgery required and I can play a few minutes without trouble so may be I can work up something simple.

Doing a harmonica piece or a largely vocal piece won’t happen because my breathing is restricted.

Still, I’ll give it a go.

ALSO ... I’m in charge of season 411 and It. Will. Happen. Enjoy 410, what’s left of 409, and your holidays!
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

This song was released this year and I like the original a lot. This is my take on You are not Alone by Flying Colors.
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40, Richwood
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.

Thread Information