Season 410: The Time of the Nines

i love the idea of the random chance song idea generator! a little while back i made a set of t-rex-y song prompt dice, with key words that crop up alot in t rex songs, and some music prompts too (keys, number of chords etc)... i thought it might be fun to do a song with them for this season, mebbe as a bonus or non-entry if it's too far from the prompt process in the intro vids...

i love the idea of the random chance song idea generator! a little while back i made a set of t-rex-y song prompt dice, with key words that crop up alot in t rex songs, and some music prompts too (keys, number of chords etc)... i thought it might be fun to do a song with them for this season, mebbe as a bonus or non-entry if it's too far from the prompt process in the intro vids...

Lynda, there's nothing wrong with taking the theme one step further! Perfect!

There's even a "X9" years-old connection with T-Rex. When thinking of bands obviously driven by one person, well... Bowlan was 29 years old when ...

Loved the song too.
_______

On other notes, our first two entries were from 1929 and 2019. At 90 years, I doubt we'll see a longer gap between the ages of two consecutive songs than that. Well played, gentlemen.

As one might expect in a week with random elements, there was some bedlam with the supporting intro... I've cleaned up the random number generators and the lists...

To visit the Original Song part of Season 410, visit here.

thank you joko! :rock:

and yes indeed, marc very sadly never made it to 30. you can't help but wonder what more fab music he might have given us, if he'd lived longer, and indeed what he might be writing and playing now.

Hello Joko! This song might seem rather an odd choice, but I was intending to do it for my "British" season and never got past the beginning. As time is more than somewhat pressing just now, I was delighted to find that it was written and released in 1979 and so qualifies for this week. It tells of a works outing to a Welsh seaside town. The song was apparently inspired by a visit to Rhyl (another Welsh coastal resort) but Bangor was chosen as the destination in the song as two syllables were required for rhyming purposes. (The councillors and businessmen of Rhyl were not pleased as they felt they had missed out on a great tourism opportunity!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind thoughts, Joko, lynda, and everyone! I felt good this morning and decided to bring this Delmore Brothers song from 1949. My whistler even worked for a verse. Joyous holidays to all!

Well, this is a challenging week - I have lost count of the hits I have found from 1959/69/79/89, which turned out to been recorded and/or released the previous year. Anyway, I am confident on this one - recorded in July '59, and released the same month. And the way they churned songs out in those days, I suspect it was written a few minutes before the tape was turned on.

Thanks Joko. Excellent set up of a theme.
Here's a Leonard Cohen from 1969. And sacre bleu! Excuse the French.
Have a lovely Christmas Eve and Day everyone.

Hello Seasonistas and Seasonists! We haven‘t been here for a long time because we took a sabbatical to travel around the world. Hope you all have a happy holidays with your loved ones!
The song we recorded was written in 1924, but got famous again in 1999, when featured in Woody Allen’ s lovely film „Sweet and low down“. Hope that counts. Looking forward to see the playlist tomorrow. :love: from Miri and Steffen
t

Merry Christmas everybody! This song appeared on "An Old Time Christmas" album recorded in 1989 by Randy Travis (born in 1959)

thanks for this week mate. brilliant and fun theme.
took on the random song generator challenge
just now and aye, it was random...
off to tackle Gandhi in F# :p

I AM NOT WEARING PANTS WHO IS RECOVERING FROM
AN ADDICTION TO BOMBS

Underwear is what you wear underneath your pants.
But pants are overrated, don't look at me askance
for the nakedness unto which i have been fated:
i make no apology for the way i was created.

Let me tell you straight my friend of the things that i'm addicted;
there's alcohol and cigarettes and other things of which i'm afflicted
and '39 the greatest year: thank you Robert Oppenheimer
for this exothermic gifted life in the key of hellbm.

You can light a fire in winter, light a cigarette and smoke it.
There's a bomb ticking in the White House with no-one to explode it -
just ask me: pantsless, shameless, layin' down the luggage,
swingin' free and easy, waiting for the carnage.

And hair it turns to white and skin it turns to leather
but the best thing about blowing up is when we all do it together...

It started drowning ants in spit and pullin' pigtails of girls' hair,
then dropping pebbles off a bridge onto the cars that drove past there.
And then i graduated to lightin' fuses and then runnin':
i was pantsless, i was shameless, my heart thumping and bumping.

The Cuban Missile Crisis was all just puff and wind.
Once the fuse is lit you know, there's no way to rescind.
And skin it shrivels up and skin it turns to leather
but the best thing about blowing up is when we all do it together.

'39 the greatest year: thank you Robert Oppenheimer
for this exothermic gifted life in the key of hellbm.

Great Monday, everyone! Myrna and Jon, sorry, you guys must've uploaded as I was processing...
The Ukelites in the house! Lots of other lovely bits of great songs.
Come and watch me watch you.
I also consider what to do about my Music Class that no one comes to.

hawkwind formed in 1969. and are still going strong! :rock: here is my fave song off their 2019 album, "all aboard the skylark"...

"the fantasy of faldum"

that only took about eight million takes, to get all the way through without the wheels falling off! so much fun! :mad:

another from the house of Joko's random song generator
a song about Mohandras Karamchand Gandhi in F#

MAHATMA COAT

Mahatma Gandhi
My shirt, my vest, my third glass of brandy
You can take all 3, I don't need 'em anymore

My hat, my coat
My socks, my sandals
You can take 'em all, when the world's gone cold
Cause I don't need 'em anymore

Raise the anchor and we'll float free
On a sailless boat to freedom
My hat, my coat
My shirt, my vest
You can take all 4, I don't need 'em anymore

Mahatma Gandhi
My shirt, my vest, my third glass of brandy
You can take all 3, I don't need 'em anymore

The first of two submissions this week.

This first one is in response to Songwriting Challenge Two. I did the randomising thing and got:
Warrior women + dances with + to do the right thing in the Key of F

So, here is the result of my interaction with Joko's 2nd challenge

Hope you enjoy:

** Quick note about the 'Mulligan' exception**

In small print along sort of hiding away was a note in the random half of the instructions which noted that if you got stuck with a combination of cards that you just can't do anything with, feel free to toss em back and draw again. I want to extend that to the notion of a combination of elements that you find offensive or you can't find a way to write about it that isn't offensive.

"Feminists who Smell Like Erectile Dysfunction" - it's a toughy...

Top Bottom