Season 410: The Time of the Nines

Joko

Reaction score
No cross-dressing this week, I promise.

We're serving up a pretty broad pallet for your consideration this week on the cover-song side of the contest... Any song entirely created and released in a year ending in "9"... OR... a song created by an artist who was X9 years old (I'm 49, for example) at the time of his release. If you could manage both the XXX9 year and x9 age, I'd be very impressed.

There's also a songwriting contest which has little to do with 9's except that a set of 99, 19 and two sets of 29's are going to help you with writing it.

So, for covers, there we are. Usual rules regarding new stuff, timing.

FOR ORIGINAL COMPOSITIONS... I set up a website just for this season to handle the html I needed for the contest...
The other half of the contest, the random song part, is explained there.
https://sites.google.com/view/sotu410

Playlist

Last edited:
Wow!

First website ever set up to facilitate a season? Outstanding effort, hope people make sure it's not wasted.

mathematical question - if a song was recorded on a 1988 album, and then released as a single in 1989, does it count for the season? (thinking about what you said, joko, about a song being released one year, and being a hit the next year, and that not counting...)

mathematical question - if a song was recorded on a 1988 album, and then released as a single in 1989, does it count for the season? (thinking about what you said, joko, about a song being released one year, and being a hit the next year, and that not counting...)

A clever idea for the week, Joko, but, echoing what Lynda asked, I keep coming across songs that were written in one year and became a hit the following year ... is it possible to bend the rules a little bit?

Joko, a tip of the old fedora for such an inventive theme!

I hope to pull something together, as I’m on the Injured List from a fall, last Sunday, hours after I recorded Buck Owens. Working on the roof, slipped off a ladder, and fractured three ribs and (slightly) my right shoulder. All healing well, but it’s a process. No surgery required and I can play a few minutes without trouble so may be I can work up something simple.

Doing a harmonica piece or a largely vocal piece won’t happen because my breathing is restricted.

Still, I’ll give it a go.

ALSO ... I’m in charge of season 411 and It. Will. Happen. Enjoy 410, what’s left of 409, and your holidays!

Yeah, Lynda, in the case your describing, does it represent the spirit of the 9? Maybe if the song were about huge changes, shifts in how people view the world, then sure.

As for jazz standards, which are recorded many times, I assume that it is the first recording that counts

Joko, a tip of the old fedora for such an inventive theme!

I hope to pull something together, as I’m on the Injured List from a fall, last Sunday, hours after I recorded Buck Owens. Working on the roof, slipped off a ladder, and fractured three ribs and (slightly) my right shoulder. All healing well, but it’s a process. No surgery required and I can play a few minutes without trouble so may be I can work up something simple.

Doing a harmonica piece or a largely vocal piece won’t happen because my breathing is restricted.

Still, I’ll give it a go.

ALSO ... I’m in charge of season 411 and It. Will. Happen. Enjoy 410, what’s left of 409, and your holidays!

Sorry to hear you've had an accident. Thanks for the INFORMATION on 411. IN the days before caller ID, I used dial 411 and then ask for the number to directory service.

Written in 1939 which is the year I was born and WW2 broke out(no connection).Great popular swing tune vocal version.

Written in 1939 which is the year I was born and WW2 broke out(no connection).Great popular swing tune vocal version.

You got it locked upand all private Stan !! :D

Top Bottom