Season 410: The Time of the Nines

** quick note about the 'mulligan' exception**

in small print along sort of hiding away was a note in the random half of the instructions which noted that if you got stuck with a combination of cards that you just can't do anything with, feel free to toss em back and draw again. I want to extend that to the notion of a combination of elements that you find offensive or you can't find a way to write about it that isn't offensive.

"feminists who smell like erectile dysfunction" - it's a toughy...

i BEG your pardon, Joko!!!!

Last edited:

i BEG your pardon, Joko!!!!

Sorry, I beg your pardon. I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you offended that I put those words together? I didn't. The random number generator did. Or are you offended that I would back down from the challenge?

If the former, well, I agree. Besides, it's Christmas. Not the day for dirges complaining about your partner's interpretation of deodorant representing the patriarchy. I think a historical figure as Santa would work better.

But first, fresh entries to watch!

Sorry, I beg your pardon. I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you offended that I put those words together? I didn't. The random number generator did. Or are you offended that I would back down from the challenge?

If the former, well, I agree. Besides, it's Christmas. Not the day for dirges complaining about your partner's interpretation of deodorant representing the patriarchy. I think a historical figure as Santa would work better.

But first, fresh entries to watch!

Er, well, I was only "mock" offended! A very Happy Christmas to you, Sir .... and everybody else; whatever stage of the day you're at!

Oh, good. Because I just finished it.... first a recap! Merry Christmas to you as well!

Last edited:

Folk blues written in 1929,played on my firefly banjo uke

Thanks for hosting Joko! So many songs from 1969, I've hardly explored others years yet :) This song is from the 1969 eponymous album by Townes Van Zandt.

Another for Joko's season. "You Are My Sunshine" was first popularized in 1939. Tried giving it a bluesy feel!

Thanks again for hosting Joko, and Happy Holiday's to everyone ~

The more observant of you may have been puzzled why my last song was entitled "Wolfgang's Love for Young Bertha" when it was obviously about Women Warriors.
The more intelligent of you may have guessed that my promised second song would fit the title better.... and you'd be right.

How did this happen? I opened a new video file put the title and then went on to import the other video. I don't know why I missed this crass error. But well, Christmas cheer might have had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Anyway - this second song is a response to the first challenge. I randomised and was given Goethe as my person and the key of "F" (again!)

Not knowing much about the chap other than that he seems to be valued in Germany with the same level of devotion as "Bill the Shake" in English. (I must confess to never having read a single word of JW von Goethe's works...) However, not one to shirk a challenge, I read up on him and discovered he was quite a lady's man as a youth. I could have tried to write a story about one of the loves mentioned in the potted biography on Wikipedia, but instead I thought I'd come up with a secret imagined love for him (gives you more scope and you don't have to retain historical accuracy). While thinking of names commonly associated with German: Anneke, Birgit, Bertha... (none of which even make the top 100 of modern Germna girl's names)... I suddenly thought Bertha Goethe.... that would be horrible to live with. And that was the seed for this little tongue in cheek ditty which uses true and close rhymes for our hero's name all the way through. Hope you enjoy:

Boxing Day here in Oz.
Had a terrific Christmas day with all our kids and all of their kids yesterday.
I got the prompt - A talking horse + can summon + some god damn peace and quiet.
I used my key of G for my option 1 song so spun again and got F#.
This what you get...

Last edited:
option 2 on the random song generator gizmo gave me...

i am a busker, who laughs at, teaching a robot to love

however i totally forgot to spin the chord wheel, i just got carried away and did my own thing, key-wise, sorry about that :(

(also - am i missing where the "in the style of" thingy is? i can't find it)

still - back to i am a busker, who laughs at, teaching a robot to love, here is "a robot love"...

The "In-the Style of" thing is over on the 99 Most Significant People in History Page. I figured the three cards would give enough to work with. I just finished my own entry into the Historical figures side and skipped the style thingy. My first roll landed me with "Genesis" , who I love but would need a week to adapt to ukulele. Rolling again, I got The Doors . ALthough I got the baritone to do Jim's voice and I can scream unintelligibly when I want to (and sometimes when I don't want to) I can't my uke to sound like Ray Manzarak's (sp?) keyboard.

Thought I'd re-post the links here so people don't have to go back to the first page:

A song about or from the POV of an important person in History-. https://sites.google.com/view/sotu410/home/100-most-important-people-in-history
Or
I am (or am singing about a) _*noun* who *verbs* + another noun. https://sites.google.com/view/sotu410/

The "In-the Style of" thing is over on the 99 Most Significant People in History Page.

A song about or from the POV of an important person in History-. https://sites.google.com/view/sotu410/home/100-most-important-people-in-history
Or
I am (or am singing about a) _*noun* who *verbs* + another noun. https://sites.google.com/view/sotu410/
ah thank you so much joko! i'm embarrassed that i missed it, it's right there under the random number generator! duh!!!!!!!!!

Well, your humble host would have finished this Christmas Carol on Christmas.. But friends dragged me away for some much-needed merry-making. Here's my historical figure entry for the week. Delano, as in FDR, Roosevelt, President of the USA during the Great Depression and most of WWII. My musical inspiration could have been Genesis, but Im not that good. So I skipped it. My first google search of "FDR Christmas" snagged me the audio and story I use and tell in this song.

I had all kinds of disasters in making it. As often happens with FL Studio, a program I should know as I've been using it since 2012, I finished a nice clean recording only to discover that I only thought I was recording it. Later, I found half of it again... The instrumental piece at the end is what the uke sounded like initially. I never could recapture that. Then, the SD card from my camera crapped out again meaning I lost all the video of the initial attempt.

Now, off to watch your entries!

Last edited:
A year of nine entry:
Although originally written in 1960 and recorded by various people, of relevance for this season is Jason Donovan's version in 1989.

The video is of more images from the Castle Howard Christmas display

random song writing prompts - ghandi, key of A flat minor, in the style of the who. i took all that as a starting point, but then the song went its own way so i dunno if i achieved any of it!

"only now"

Top Bottom