New Klos ukulele to be 100% composite

CF is great where it is not hot. If it is very hot, and your CF instrument gets hot, it wont suffer damage, but it also may not work as a musical instrument until it cools down. If you are hiking in frozen North America, CF would be a good choice. If you are riding your bicycle across a hot desert, anything that is made of black carbon will just get too hot to hold during the day.

There have been some great discussions in the past on the Carbon Fiber guitar section of the Acoustic Guitar Forum about our CF instruments getting pretty hot in the direct sun. Fortunately for guitar players many of the CF guitars are available painted, and a few folks mentioned that they ordered their Composite Acoustics Cargo travel guitars in white for just that reason. So maybe we should be asking the uke manufacturers for a white options - but that would add to the cost.

The carbon fiber itself is black. Colored carbon fiber has color from something else: paint (like the guitars besley mentioned), tinted clear coat, dyed resin, another material, etc. A common coloring process is to weave carbon fiber with colored kevlar to get a black / color fabric. All of those would work fine on a uke.

"Carbon fiber" printed vinyl wraps are cheap and can be any color. This is what many laptop cases and cheap car decorations are made of. They wouldn't work so well on a uke, but don't quote me on that if I ever get around to adding vinyl deco to my Outdoor. IIRC I have some color shifting “carbon fiber” vinyl in my stash. It’ll add at least 10hp. Yum

Last edited:
Top Bottom