If you can only have 1 ukulele for the rest of your life...

Choose your one and only uke!

• Sopranissimo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sopranino

• Soprano

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • Long Neck Soprano

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Concert

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Long Neck Concert

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Tenor

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • Long Neck Tenor

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Baritone

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Guitalele

• Total voters

AustinHing

Reaction score
What will you choose?

I’m definitely picking Soprano over any other size if there’s only 1 choice. I did try to like tenor but I just can’t.

I have already made the choice and for me it is a long-necked tenor. I actually have two, one for each tuning. That's it for me. I don't have UAS.

I guess I'd choose a baritone, as you can always use a capo to get it up to a higher pitch. I also love the full sound and the scale length.

For me, no contest! (See my sig)

I'm with Rakelele - with a baritone you've got all the scale lengths covered so it's the most versatile for me.

Tough choice!!

Whilst my most expensive uke is actually a long neck concert - if I really could only have one uke - it would just have to be a long neck soprano.

I still love my long neck sopranos, ever since I got my first laminate one a few years back, & then got a solid mahogany to join it.

I would certainly miss my long neck concerts, but the long neck soprano just has the edge, for me. :music:

I have a Pono baritone that has such rich tone that it is definitely my choice.

In general I consider myself a concert man, but my favorite uke happens to be a Tenor.

Peculiar question:
Is the tenor fluke considered a long neck concert, since it has the same body as the concert fluke?
Since the body shape is not traditional I find it a silly question.

"Since the body shape is not traditional I find it a silly question"

In my view, it is a silly question for any body shape. It is very simple - if it has a tenor scale length, then it is a tenor. If it has a concert scale length, it is a concert. This whole "long neck" thing is a misnomer, and can lead to unnecessary misunderstandings.

That is my verdict. I have pronounced.

John Colter

My short, chubby fingers like concert best. Soprano is too tight for them, and tenor is too far of a stretch. After many ventures into the other sizes, my fingers have found their home with the concert. I did try the soprano body/concert scale aka long neck soprano. While the scale was comfy, I didn't like the sound as much. I recently got a 16 inch scale concert (Cocobolo), and that's as far as I'm comfortable reaching.

I play only sopranos , If I could have only one for the rest of my life , it would be my Martin OXK . That uke looks like it could last forever.

"Since the body shape is not traditional I find it a silly question"

In my view, it is a silly question for any body shape. It is very simple - if it has a tenor scale length, then it is a tenor. If it has a concert scale length, it is a concert. This whole "long neck" thing is a misnomer, and can lead to unnecessary misunderstandings.

That is my verdict. I have pronounced.

John Colter

I tend to agree.
However long neck concert was an option in the poll, and tenors with snakker bodies can sound different, hence it might have been the intention in the poll to distinguish.
Then again, a fluke body is neither a concert nor a Tenor body, so I dont know how to define it in the poll.

What will you choose?

That’s a tough call. I almost exclusively play Soprano but occasionally I play Concerts too - at one point I pretty much only played Concert scale Ukes. I have traditional and pineapple shaped Sopranos, my Pineapple has served me well and until recently all other Ukes were measured against it and found lesser. My latest traditional shape Soprano isn’t quite as loud (as my Pineapple) and doesn’t sound as strongly high up the fretboard but otherwise it has a more rounded sound so, by a very small margin, it’s become my favourite.

Last edited:
Tenor and Long Neck Concert which is very different to a Tenor but still easier to play if you have man hands :D

gotta go with soprano.

while i prefer the tone and playability of a tenor, i would MISS playing soprano more if i couldn't, as it encapsulates so much of my experience and love for the instrument. i started playing uke 20 years ago to have an instrument i could take anywhere (basses are big), and i fell in love with that playful punctuated soprano tone. so while tenor may be more "beautiful" to me, i've got an undeniable soft spot for soprano.

I actually think about the “if I could only keep one” question a lot. Perhaps too much, considering my answer :p lol. It would depend on life situation:

Everything is great and I plan on traveling and performing, so need a pick up- alto Beansprout (my favorite uke)

I’m poor, so need to busk on the street and can’t afford batteries for an amp, or I have just quit my job to become a jazz and blues singer- Mya Moe resonator

I’m in really dire straights and living in my car or a tent, so need something weatherproof- soprano outdoor uke

The zombie apocalypse has come, so I need something very quiet that can double as a sturdy weapon- Risa uke solid

I actually think about the “if I could only keep one” question a lot. Perhaps too much, considering my answer :p lol. It would depend on life situation:

Everything is great and I plan on traveling and performing, so need a pick up- alto Beansprout (my favorite uke)

I’m poor, so need to busk on the street and can’t afford batteries for an amp, or I have just quit my job to become a jazz and blues singer- Mya Moe resonator

I’m in really dire straights and living in my car or a tent, so need something weatherproof- soprano outdoor uke

The zombie apocalypse has come, so I need something very quiet that can double as a sturdy weapon- Risa uke solid

Whew! For a minute, I thought you were describing your actual life situation. :D

The "Size" poll has been run several times, and the results have always been the same. Let's see how this one turns out.

Top Bottom