Seeking comments on two ukuleles

terrgy

Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning to upgrade. I have decided on a concert.
Here are the two I am pondering over:

Grace Vanderwaal Signature model
$192 at a local store. Comes with pickup and case.

Hola Concert Hm-424SSR +
$129.95. Package deal with strap and case.

Reviews are overall good on both, with few complaints.

I’ve set my $ limit at $200.00.

The GV concert is absolutely beautiful. Only drawback I feel is the finish is very slick. I guess I could install a strap.

Thank you
Terry

I havent tried any of the two ukuleles, but I am sure you will be recommended to go for a third option.

They are pretty different.
The Grace Vanderwaal uke is from Fender, right?
Their ukuleles are not praised very much.
I believe it is made from sapele. Probably laminates, I can't find other info on it.
The Hola has a solid spruce top, which probably will be very different sound wise. Hola is not a very known brand to me, and looks like something you would buy of Amazon. People here will warn you against buying instruments on amazon and recommend dedicated music shops.

Before someone else suggests it, I will suggest looking into something like a B-stock solid mahogany Ohana. That can be found within your budget from a good suppler.

But really, try to find sone sound samples online of the ukes you are interested in. If you can't find the sound sample, the brand is probably hard to get opinions on here also. Spruce, koa/Akacia and Mahogany sounds different, so listen on youtube and make a decision on what kind of wood you prefer too. Spruce is more clear in the tone, Mahogany mellow with string mid tones, koa/Akacia warm but with some jangle/bright overtonen that might or might not suit the sound you are looking for.

I did have a chance to handle the GV signature at a Guitar Center. I did NOT like the way it felt or sounded... recollection is overbuilt and that I would not want it at any price.

I purchased an Ohana Cynthia Lin model from Mim for $179 for my daughter and felt the money was well spent (and she likes it). The setup is as important as which uke you select, so I would start with Mim as she has a good selection in your price range and can converse with you to find one that you should be happy with.

Thank you for your comments. I’ve purchased two from Mims prior, with complete satisfaction. I think I’ll stick with her.

Your location says Georgia. You might also check out https://www.ukerepublic.shop/#/ right in your home state. He has a nice selection and gets high praise for service and set up.

If I lived near that uke republic ukulele shop, I would so go there and try those ukes out!
The Islanders have a good reputation within your budget, and some of the Ohanas are only slightly above.

I would wish Copenhagen had a shop like that.

Last edited:
How about this one? I play out twice a week, every week, with uke and other instruments.
Thought a pickup would be nice ever so often.

Ohana Concert Cutaway CK-20 CE.
B stock from Mims

How about this one? I play out twice a week, every week, with uke and other instruments.
Thought a pickup would be nice ever so often.

Ohana Concert Cutaway CK-20 CE.
B stock from Mims

I havent played it myself, but I believe it is a safer bet than the first two you mentioned. The Ohana I have is a gem.

Another one that has caught my attention:

Ohana Cynthia Lin concert. $169.00 set up from Mims. With bag.
No solid top and no pickup. Being honest with myself, I don’t think I am good enough to notice the difference between a solid top or lam top. Also, I have been getting by for several years now with no pickup. I always plug my dulcimer into power, because it is not a loud instrument. While my $50 uke is plenty loud.

So, more to ponder over. I plan to order around Jan 2nd.
I did check out the “uke Republic “ web site. They have some really nice ukes. If I decide against a pickup, the choices really multiply.

I have a tk70-r Ohana, solid spruce top, laminate rosewood body.
Great uke for around 200.

With $200 to spend, and the option to get a solid top within budget, I think it is worth going for. Unless you fancy the decorations on the Cynthia Lee model.
Personaly I wouldnt care about the pickup, but I dont play in a group, so It wouldnt be relevant. Since you do, it is not that expensive to get one now that you are buying a uke anyway.

Someone suggested a solid sprice top model.
You might want to find a sound sample to hear the difference.

And of course there are more options than Ohana out there, they are just very popular :)

I would not buy either of these without playing and inspecting them first. Both have features that are not necessary on cheap ukes which usually means they lack in basic quality and playability. In this price range it is important to avoid electronics, gloss, and bling.

I would not buy either of these without playing and inspecting them first. Both have features that are not necessary on cheap ukes which usually means they lack in basic quality and playability. In this price range it is important to avoid electronics, gloss, and bling.

Your advice is really sound. Thank you. Now , with what you write in mind, what’s a concert you would recommend?

I have a tk70-r Ohana, solid spruce top, laminate rosewood body.
Great uke for around 200.[/QUOTE

I’ve checked your suggestion out, as best I can on the net. Nice choice.
Thank you.

I should have added that I own several custom ukes as well. I use the Ohana for teaching kid classes. They like to strum my Uke and I don’t like them banging on my DaSilva.
The Ohana is a Uke I highly recommend.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks to all for sharing.
Gonna dit on this thru the weekend. After a gig this morning, I have decided I don’t need a pickup. Played and sang to about 35 people. Even miking my voice, my $50 Alverez rang out super.
I just want a new and better uke. OCD, my wife tells me.

Top Bottom