Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I buy and store strings?

Default Can I buy and store strings?

Hello.
    This is my first post. I'm a total beginner and I would like to know if I can store ukulele strings. As they are non metal, I think they wouldn't get too old and dry if I keep them in a proper place.
    Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Ukulele Underground!

I've kept ukulele strings for periods of ten years or more, unused, and there was no sign of deterioration. Fitted to a uke, I've known strings remain perfectly useable for more than five years - but I don't necessarily recommend it..........

John Colter

ps. Just to be clear - I'm talking about synthetic materials, not animal based products.

The only strings I can think of that would “suffer” from being stored and not used immediately would be Aquila’s new Gut strings. Since these aren’t synthetic material, they are supposed to have a shorter shelf-life.

That said, the tone from them is wonderfully rich.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

Thanks for your reply. I want to avoid frustration and have a spare kit with me. I'm sure I'll need to change the strings at odd hours when the music shop is closed.

I asked this question not too long ago because I had some 10 year old strings given to me. The consensus was if kept at a reasonable temperature and out of the sun, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm using one of the 10 year old packs and they sound good to me.

I'm hoping, as I got a good deal on a dozen sets of sugars and I don't own a lot of ukes, and I don't change the strings often. So ask me in ten years and I'll tell you how it went.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Aquila's for one, do have a moisture content, they do get drier over time. Monofilament string does degrade over time.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Yes, I bought a bulk lot of cheap nylon strings a few years ago and they're still good. As Ed said, avoid extreme temperatures and definitely keep them away from sunlight.

I bought spools of fishing line to make fluorocarbon strings about three years ago and new sets are fine.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thanks for all replies. I'll buy just a couple sets to have them ready on hand when I need them.

Thread Information