Can I buy and store strings?

HoracioDos

Reaction score
Hello.
This is my first post. I'm a total beginner and I would like to know if I can store ukulele strings. As they are non metal, I think they wouldn't get too old and dry if I keep them in a proper place.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Ukulele Underground!

I've kept ukulele strings for periods of ten years or more, unused, and there was no sign of deterioration. Fitted to a uke, I've known strings remain perfectly useable for more than five years - but I don't necessarily recommend it..........

John Colter

ps. Just to be clear - I'm talking about synthetic materials, not animal based products.

The only strings I can think of that would “suffer” from being stored and not used immediately would be Aquila’s new Gut strings. Since these aren’t synthetic material, they are supposed to have a shorter shelf-life.

That said, the tone from them is wonderfully rich.

Thanks for your reply. I want to avoid frustration and have a spare kit with me. I'm sure I'll need to change the strings at odd hours when the music shop is closed.

I asked this question not too long ago because I had some 10 year old strings given to me. The consensus was if kept at a reasonable temperature and out of the sun, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm using one of the 10 year old packs and they sound good to me.

I'm hoping, as I got a good deal on a dozen sets of sugars and I don't own a lot of ukes, and I don't change the strings often. So ask me in ten years and I'll tell you how it went.

Yes, I bought a bulk lot of cheap nylon strings a few years ago and they're still good. As Ed said, avoid extreme temperatures and definitely keep them away from sunlight.

I bought spools of fishing line to make fluorocarbon strings about three years ago and new sets are fine.

Thanks for all replies. I'll buy just a couple sets to have them ready on hand when I need them.

I understand that you would want to have strings available, (I keep several packs handy) but if you do have to replace the strings, the problem remains that the uke will be unplayable for a period of time while the new strings settle. This is an unshakeable excuse - no a reason - for having more than one ukulele.:eek:

John Colter

Top Bottom