Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People Got to Be Free (the Rascals)

Default People Got to Be Free (the Rascals)

Wishing all my UU friends a Merry Christmas! Hope you like my rendition of this 1968 Rascals song. Can this song really be 51 years old?

it's a beautiful song, John.
    peace and love my brother.
    thank you for your music.
    best things to you mate.
    jon

Thanks, Jon! I really appreciate it! Merry Christmas!

Great stuff yet again John! You dig out some great old 'uns that many of us (well, ME anyway lol) have either never heard of or have long ago forgotten about. 51 years ago? Wow!
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO RANGER 12 string
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Very nice, John - I had all but forgotten this song. I truly enjoy it when you shake up my memory for things I l knew from the radio* back in the 60s and 70s, before I played any instruments

I ended up playing around, and doing it in A - because that's what my voice is asking for, this week.

I think it is also a great gateway to getting people to play some 2nd position and Barre chords in this key - Bm and Cm, specifically. with just a slide from one to the other. (And the barred D and E fit together as a great little riff...)

Now, to just play it enough that I can teach it to others!

-Kurt

*Radio, for those in their 20s and younger, was that thing in the car before USB, satellite, CD, Cassette, or 8-track tapes. It was how we learned songs, before all those other choices existed. There were 2 flavors: AM, now the home of people who talk but make little sense, and FM, where we could find either classical music, or whole album sides, played on the College Radio Stations. That was where we heard Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Mothers of Invention, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, and Folk Music!
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

John, as usual, great job! Wishing you and UU friends a Merry Christmas (after all,this is the 3rd day of Christmas) and a Happy, healthy,
    and prosperous New Year.

Thanks, Dave! I'm surprised that you don't know this song! It was a Number One hit for the Rascals in the U.S. I'm wondering how high it went in the charts in the UK. Anyway, glad to introduce this great song to you!

Thanks, Kurt! I started listening to the radio a lot around 1968, so the Rascals made a big impression on me early on. I used to enjoy the countdown of the top ten hits of the week. Now that I'm uking, I love bringing back all the old songs. So many memories!

Thanks, luv2uke! Hope you had a great Christmas, and I wish you a Happy 2020!

Thanks for another great song, John. Your mention of listening to the radio in the '60s reminded me of riding with my family in the Ford Country Squire station wagon (with simulated woodgrain trim) listening to the radio as a kid. Sister and brothers singing along with all the windows down. Great memories.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Thanks for sharing that memory! I liked singing along with the radio, too. I think that's why remembering the lyrics to old songs isn't too hard for me!

Wow, what a blast from the past! Great job John!
    John

Thread Information