Fluorocarbon strings for a Kala super tenor

Hi,
I've just gotten a super tenor ukulele, the Kala KA-ASZCT-ST Solid Spruce top with Ziricote laminate back and sides. The strings that came with it were D'Addario nylon, very thick/stiff/hard hurt my newbie fingers, so I tried the Martin M620 tenor, which are too short and just as problematic, albeit with much better tone.

I'm looking for fluorocarbon strings that would be easier on my fingers. !
You picked a solution to dealing with newbie fingers that reduces your learning experience and will limit your playing abilities. It will be much more rewarding to master the nylon strings and learn how to play them without effort and make them sound great. This should only take a few hours of practice and once you accomplish that then decide if you still want to change strings.

You picked a solution to dealing with newbie fingers that reduces your learning experience and will limit your playing abilities. It will be much more rewarding to master the nylon strings and learn how to play them without effort and make them sound great. This should only take a few hours of practice and once you accomplish that then decide if you still want to change strings.

You may be correct. But, if it's not as enjoyable how can one progress? I had my baritone set up nearly perfectly, now that I've got the ST, same goal...

I have to disagree with this. I personally have not liked D'Addario uke strings that I've tried (although the classical guitar strings on my tenor guitalele aren't bad). Hurting fingers are not rewarding in my view, and if OP finds the PhD flouros more pleasant to play, I see nothing gained by keeping the stock strings which are usually selected for cost saving reasons more than any specific musical or technical reason. Strings are cheap and varied. Play the ones you like.

It looks like there has been a good solution to the question.

Finding the right strings is a good step to being able to learn and practice in comfort. Eventually they are going to wear out and then you can get a new set of strings, if you think you are ready you can change the tension as a technical challenge and over time time you technical skills will grow and you wont be torturing yourself. Hopefully most players have the rest of their life to develop skills and learn stuff, unless they have a financial driver or a concert planned, there is no real reason to make it harder for yourself before you are ready to make it harder for yourself.

If you know some friends who like fishing, see if they will give you 1m of high quality fluorocarbon line with these PE numbers: 10(A) 12(Hi G) 14(E) 16/18 (C or Low G). I have found that it can be a good way of finding ukulele strings.

Barry Maz strings all his with SeaGuar fishing line! I'm not ready to "save" money this way though: at around $35 for 25yds per gauge it gets expensive quickly

Barry Maz strings all his with SeaGuar fishing line! I'm not ready to "save" money this way though: at around $35 for 25yds per gauge it gets expensive quickly

I don't think most of us use Seaguar fluorocarbon to save money. It's all about customization—getting exactly the right size, response and sound. Seaguar Pink Label 40LB .022" 25 YD (A string) is normally $12 to $15 on Amazon. The C string line can be a bit pricy: 25 YD of Seaguar Pink Label 80LB .036" cost me $19.83 last week on Amazon. Back in the day I used to have to buy two sets and a low G single to get what I wanted...

I don't think most of us use Seaguar fluorocarbon to save money. It's all about customization—getting exactly the right size, response and sound. Seaguar Pink Label 40LB .022" 25 YD (A string) is normally $12 to $15 on Amazon. The C string line can be a bit pricy: 25 YD of Seaguar Pink Label 80LB .036" cost me $19.83 last week on Amazon. Back in the day I used to have to buy two sets and a low G single to get what I wanted...

That's pretty reasonable! I've not been looking at Amazon. Thanks for the information!

Top Bottom